PDA

View Full Version : DHL (UK) Lifestyle ?

Caractacus
27th Sep 2001, 14:05
I am presently looking at working for DHL on the B757 at EMA.

The big carrot being offered is a sociable 4 nights On - 4 days Off.

Does anyone know whether this is backed up by either a contract or FTL scheme?

Companies are renowned for selling potential pilots glowing stories about lifestyle only to show their true colours on the line . . .

Any informed comment gratefully received.

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: Caractacus ]

Hwel
27th Sep 2001, 19:27
Current UK CAA FTL limits you to 4 consecutive night duties. Thus 4 on 4 Off. As the rest of the DHL network runs 8 on 6 off and EAT are talking of either 7/7 or 14/14 dont expect 4 and 4 to last very long. UK companies are at a significant disadvantage when compared to their EU competitors in regards of night scheduled freight so there is considerable pressure for the CAA to change the rules.

freightdoggy dog
27th Sep 2001, 23:28
sounds like a trefor jones contract!!!!!!!! :D

Mr Angry from Purley
28th Sep 2001, 21:13
Hwel

Correction. Current CAP371 allows you to do 3 consecutive night duties. There is a variation that allows 5 consecutive nights which is limited to 8 hr nights (aimed at Parcelforce night STN-EDI-STN as an example)but DHL don't normally do this type of ops.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Shanwick Shanwick
28th Sep 2001, 23:30
Caractacus,

I have the DHL contract infront of me and can assure you that it does not mention any rostering agreement and the FTL scheme is yet to be approved. As you correctly state, "the carrot" being offered by Walton Churchill, not DHL, is 4 on / 4 off. To be honest I can't see how it can be commercially viable. I guess it'll drift towards 4 on / 2 off.

The pension on offer is still 10-15% and will probably set at the lower end or as the market dictates.

The set-up looks good. Lots of cash has been spent so far (Tref's good at that) and it all seems professional. I've been assured that the current MD (TJ) will be there only 9 months before returning to DHL Europe from whence he came.

If you take it all at face value, it has a good feel.

Despite all that, I'm un-decided!

Brgds

High Volt
29th Sep 2001, 04:24
Walton Churchill said in interview that they couldn't give a final verdict on nights away from base but did say that time away would be matched by base days off: ie 4 nights work = 84 hours off. I dont like to be cynical but when basic info re: pension and lifestyle is not available at the point of contract, one has to assume the worst.

Recent job cuts have changed the playing field dramatically however and the ball may soon be back in DHL's court.

Wig Wag
29th Sep 2001, 11:25
DHL have asked for an FTL extension from the CAA.

It has not, as yet been approved.

Their FTL scheme, when approved would define the days on/days off issue

Hwel
1st Oct 2001, 12:53
Mr Angry,

Funny how just this week I'm doing 4 nights of 10 hours.

Must remember to bother with Cap 371 some day, Its so different to what the CAA actually allow it is not really worth my time.

Besides why so grumpy?

[ 01 October 2001: Message edited by: Hwel ]

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Oct 2001, 21:23
Hwel, humble apologies :) should have said that basic CAP371 does not allow 4 nights as
you describe, so can i presume your company has a variation?? (or the CAA are not aware)
:mad:

angelorange
6th Sep 2006, 20:13
Any update on this subject?

fractional
8th Sep 2006, 17:42
Is PB with DHL UK? He came from DHL based in BAH.:confused:

Smirnoff Ice
11th Sep 2006, 12:36
PB is MD at DHL AIR @ EMA, he was formerly of DHL BAH.\
SI
:\

fractional
11th Sep 2006, 13:47
Smirnoff Ice, tks for your info. Does :\ mean something? All the best.

Smirnoff Ice
13th Sep 2006, 08:53
Nah, its just my usual sign off! lol