PDA

View Full Version : SIA Cadet Pilot - HK Recruitment Process

aviation3000
20th Jan 2008, 22:52
Hi!

First of all, forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum.

MY BACKGROUND:

I'm planning to head back to HK from Vancouver (YVR) Canada for long term stay and considering applying to BOTH "CX" and "SQ" for cadet pilot.

I even thought of Dragonair (KA) but since CX bought/own thems now, no point cause they ask you "Are you aware of Dragonair's cadet program?" and no point in denying it or say yes, that i've applied to it and making yourself look like your "playing the field".

I have the birth right and the legal mumbo-jumbo paper work done long ago. I'm done school, went through college, university got my diplomas, degrees and masters in that order; my background is "Aviation" Yes, I've done flying recreationally and know the life that I'm looking into.

*** It feels good to have that off my chest ***

=======================================================

MY QUESTION:

I'm new to the site and was wondering if the recruitment process for SIA in HK is any different from the SIA HQ process?

I saw the ad on SQ's website and read that interviews are in HK as stated:

http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/MAIN/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=382&szReturnToSearch=1&szWordsToHighlight=

Just wondering cause I heard a rumour from my cousin (who is a pilot wtih SIA from the 19XX) that Canadians who are Chinese and HK birth status, english skills and education have higher success chances of entering SQ than CX.

Anyways, I hope to hear some good responses from other forum members and to seek their guidance and advice.

BRING ON THE POSTS!!!

PEACE!!! :ok:

P.S.

*** FEEL FREE TO PM ME, EXCEPT THE FLAMERS ***

MidgetBoy
21st Jan 2008, 22:59
But SQ still requires a degree, preferably in engineering, and I'm told the min age is 26, though it isn't shown on the website. That might be for Singapore applicants specifically.
It doesn't hurt to apply for KA's CPP if you're there. KA might have lower standards and even if they don't, it doubles your chances in getting in. Especially if you meet all the reqs but they just don't have space for you. I heard FTA is short on instructors so there is a max # for Cx to send to FTA.

sinkingship
22nd Jan 2008, 02:09
I reccommend you also apply for KA, they train at the same flightschool so i'm sure the standards are the same, even CX/KA both come under Swire you get to be a handling S/O as opposed to S/O sitting in the back for 3-4years with CX.

aviation3000
22nd Jan 2008, 03:20
Thanks for replying guys/girls, I appreciate the info.

I figured out a plan on my sleepless nights:

1. Apply to "ONLY 1 Airline's" CPP (CX, SQ, KA)

2. Go through the process, telling the airline I'll be local for a few weeks.
* This way, the airline might be considerate enough to get 2 stages done within a month, save a trip, should I pass stage 1"

3. Continue through till I get elminated.*
***This way, should I ever be asked have I applied to another airline's CPP, I'm honest that I'm not and I'm not "playing the filed". ***

4. Repeat and apply to "Remaining 2 of 3 Airline's CPP"

What do you guys/girls think?

Cheers.

Matt_777
22nd Jan 2008, 07:05
I think you should apply all 3 of them.

I have been through CX's interview and they actually asked "if you're so interested why didn't you apply for KA's cadet as well?"

Since KA only has 1 opening per year (i guess so does SQ), you should make the most out of your trip back to have a better chance in anyone of them.

Having experience studying abroad is definitely an advantage, as least I've known most of the CP of CX are either PPL or CPL or people coming back overseas. But people with CPL, Instrutor rating and even ATPL have failed as well. So better apply to as many companies as you can, otherwise you'll regret it.

MidgetBoy
22nd Jan 2008, 08:58
I'm going to say what someone else told me when I told them I thought it'd be awkward if (beyond all possibilities) 2 airlines accepted me for their CPP, it would seem awkward and if I chose one over the other and messed it up, then the other wouldn't take me. The thing is, the company is still a business, if you fit what they want, they'll hire you. If for some reason you only want to do longhauls, then don't apply for KA.

aviation3000
22nd Jan 2008, 19:25
I think I'll apply to both SQ and CX near the same time, then KA but only after I get eliminated from CX first (since they own KA but operate seperately, but similiar senior management).

I don't mind if the airline focus is long or short haul, either way its still a flying job and thats hard to acquire for zero-hours like myself.

The only probably I would say is the timing; if I apply to SQ and CX at the same time in HK. I could sent the applications 1 week apart.... assume HR takes 1 week to review, 1 month to reply. So there always be some time difference in prospective interviews. I hope my luck ain't that bad, cause life experiences has taught me to expect the unexpected.

***Any extra tips, you guys/girl think I should do??? ****

scooby79
22nd Jan 2008, 20:11
I don't know why you think it is a bad idea to apply to KA at the same time as CX. If you don't mind who you fly for and don't want to apply to all three at the same time send in applications to CX and KA at the same time. Then if you don't get in go for SQ. CX and KA would not give it a second thought. It is a positive not a negative to go for both as they are the same company. You would not be asked to attend anything that clashed with the other because they are the same company. Or go for SQ then CX and KA. In my opinion if you are the right candidate none of the airlines would care if you went for all three as if you want to be a pilot it would be stupid not to apply to all of them if you were eligible.

MidgetBoy
23rd Jan 2008, 21:22
I don't know about SQ, but Cx emails you pretty quickly to tell you when they're starting a new cadet session and when they'll update you again on that.

aviation3000
24th Jan 2008, 18:02

MY QUESTION:

I'm new to the site and was wondering if the recruitment process for SIA in HK is any different from the SIA HQ process?

I saw the ad on SQ's website and read that interviews are in HK as stated:

http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/MAIN/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=382&szReturnToSearch=1&szWordsToHighlight=

Chunks
26th Jan 2008, 13:02
You guys reckon they will accept someone with just a three year Bachelors degree?

aviation3000
26th Jan 2008, 17:43
I don't see why not... a degree is a degree... if either you HAVE one or you DON'T....

aviation3000
1st Feb 2008, 03:43
:D "Theres gotta be someone out there... Stand right up!":D