PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue Management - an objective debate/comparison

fatigueJunkie
20th Jan 2008, 20:30
Hello all

As many of you will be aware, there is a fair amount of discussion among Pacific Blue crew regarding their fatigue management system. Rather than getting into another slagging match, perhaps we could embark on an objective discussion regarding the way different airlines manage crew fatigue.

I'll start with an overview of the Pac Blue system, these are some of the points I find interesting, I'd appreciate comments and comparisons:

N.B. The following all relate to a two pilot crew.

- Late night duty limitations – for one/two sector duty commencing between 1801 and 0559 local, normal maximum duty period is 12 hours
- Maximum duty periods can be extended by up to two hours in a disrupt, or up to 3 hours at Captains discretion.
- A duty ending in a deadheading sector may be up to 16 hours.
- Maximum period on reserve is 16 hours, and a duty commencing from a reserve period may end up to 23 hours after the start of the reserve period.
- Rest periods – duty up to 10 hours – 10 hours rest, duty between 10 and 12 hours – 12 hours rest, duty more than 12 hours - rest period equal to length of duty.
- A rest period at home is calculated from the designated sign off time for the duty (no allowance for travel time).
- Rest period is included in day off – i.e. no requirement to complete rest period before commencing day off – this means that you can work up to midnight, have one day off, then start at 0600, or have two days off then start at 0500.
- Nine days off rostered per month, may accept callouts on up to three – minimum six days off per month.
- Back of clock – maximum of three consecutive duties encompassing the period 0200-0459, maximum four such duties in seven days.

I’ll start with a few comparisons from my last airline:

- Maximum duty period 11 hours (extendable to 12 hours for disrupt) followed by 10 hours rest. Rest period extended by 1 hour for every 15 minutes over 11 hours. Rest period of 24 hours if duty extended beyond 12 hours.
- Day off includes two consecutive periods of midnight to 0600 and commences after the completion of the applicable rest period.
- Travel between home and work regarded as neither duty nor rest (rest period starts when you get home).
- Maximum duty period 22 hours in a 48 hour period, 29 hours in a 72 hour period.

The floor is yours.......

Buckshot
21st Jan 2008, 05:10
You should check out what the EK fellas are saying on the ME forum. They have just started DXB-IAH with their new 77Ws. It's a 17 hour sector and they get a 24 hour layover (including transit - crew hotel is over one hour away from airport) before doing it all over again back to DXB.

Chocks Away
23rd Jan 2008, 01:20
Pushing the Crew has proved costly for one lot of Swiss Managers already, as they are charged with "negligent homicide".
The precedent has been set. I hope this makes people listen :ugh:

Managers Charged Over Fatal Crossair Crash (http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/social_affairs/detail/Managers_charged_over_fatal_Crossair_crash.html?siteSect=201&sid=8357048&rss=true&ty=st)

P.S.
EK at least has multiple crew and Crew Rest facilities... PB are 2 drivers only and the front window seat is it, for the whole duty.