PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to USA/ temp internet account

rossilinni
20th Jan 2008, 06:51
Hi All

I am travelling to the USA for the month of March.

I will not be able to access the net via my local provider in Australia.

The places that I will be staying at all have high speed access - just plug in.

I want to purchase a service I can access for the trip - does anyone know a painless way I can do this ?

Thanks

Rosso

bnt
20th Jan 2008, 07:05
Not sure I understand the question - what kind of extra service do you think you'll need, if you will have high speed internet access wherever you go? You will be able to talk to your mail server in Australia, for example.

hellsbrink
20th Jan 2008, 08:27
You'll get online without needing your own provider, and if there are issues with email (I know some ISP's don't like you accessing things from "someone else") then use your ISP's webmail service. If they don't have that, then setup a hotmail/whatever account and tell everyone to use that when you are out of the country.

Saab Dastard
20th Jan 2008, 11:00
Or leave a PC running at home that has remote control access turned on.

SD

Keef
20th Jan 2008, 19:49
As they said. If you have broadband access, but no SMTP connection to send mail, use webmail.

Alternatively, you may find that your Australian ISP has a "login" type SMTP server: if it needs an ID and password before you can send mail when you're at home, there's a good chance you can use exactly the same in the USA. My new UK ISP does that.

Before I had that facility, I bought $10 worth of Maglobe credit before each trip, and used that. It worked just fine. The package includes dial-in Internet access and e-mail from anywhere in the USA for the price of a local call. I could even send via Maglobe's "login" SMTP server from hotel broadband and the like - and it didn't charge me for that.

I've noticed more recently that Maglobe has got itself blacklisted a few times for handling Spam, so it may not be as useful as it used to be.