PDA

View Full Version : Website HTML / FTP - HELP !

Double Zero
20th Jan 2008, 02:41
I have a largeish website I built using Frontpage.

This site has taken years of work in my spare time - it's for the Owners Association for the class of sailing yacht I have, and has contributions from members etc,etc, PLUS SOME VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY / DESIGN ISSUES.

My hosts have been taken over by a new outfit, and since then I cannot access or amend the site in any way.

The new hosts affirm this is because Frontpage uses HTML, while they use FTP.

They say they can access the site controls, but the username & password they tell me has no effect from my end, I reckon I've tried every permutation.

They are no more help than that, suggesting I somehow convert it to FTP - though I have been told elsewhere that the hosts should deal with the format.

Also I cannot believe I am the only Frontpage user this large outfit have come across.

Is there a way around this, PLEASE !!! - or am I going to have to invest in a new publishing program and re-do years of work not to mention learning how to drive the new software ?

Any advice very much appreciated !
DZ

bnt
20th Jan 2008, 04:39
"They are no more help than that, suggesting I somehow convert it to FTP - though I have been told elsewhere that the hosts should deal with the format."

It sounds like they are confusing HTML (the file format, which will not change) with HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol), which is how the files were transferred. FTP is not a file format, or a directory layout, it just does what it says on the tin: File Transfer Protocol. So, when they say "convert to FTP", I think all they mean is change your method of accessing the web server.

It's been a while since I used FrontPage, but can't FrontPage use FTP as a file transfer method? There are Microsoft documents that imply that it can, e.g. this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198523/en-us) (see the "Unextended Web Server" section). You specify ftp:// ... instead of http:// in the FrontPage network settings. That document is assuming you work with an offline copy of the website ("web"), and Publish changes when ready - the most common way of working.

If you get a FTP program for your operating system, you can check out how things look. After you log in, you should get a directory listing, with the actual website in a subdirectory e.g. "/www_home" or something. The example in that Microsoft document is ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/myweb , but you'd need to replace the "myweb" with the actual subdirectory where the files are. It must be where index.htm or index.html (the home page) is.

When you say "the hosts should deal with the format", by "format" can I assume you mean "the files and the way they're laid out"? Then that's correct too. If you are able to set up FTP transfer as above, you don't need to stop using FrontPage or change the way you work. (You could if you wanted to, though - you'd still be working with HTML files either way.)

PS: It may be that they no longer have the FrontPage Extensions on the web servers - which I think you ought to check with them. If you've paid for that service, and they've just taken it away without warning, they don't deserve your business, IMHO. There are many FrontPage hosters who'd be happy to host your site. Your website might not use any of the advanced features, but it's still convenient when you use FrontPage to create the website - those Extensions are normally the part that allows the HTML transfers that FrontPage uses by default.

Double Zero
20th Jan 2008, 04:52
Thanks for that - I'll check again but have a nasty feeling I tried the ftp prefix early on & it wasn't an option ( the saga drags on ).

I do understand it's 'protocol' , just lazily felt 'format' a descriptive term, not actual computer-speak !

Yes I did pay for & require extensions, in this case can live without them if I have to but...

I forget now, am I able to transfer the whole lot, domain name & all ( my ownership ??? ) to another host ?

As I say I'll go through your suggestions ASAP, thanks again.

bnt
20th Jan 2008, 05:03
Thanks for that - I'll check again but have a nasty feeling I tried the ftp prefix early on & it wasn't an option ( the saga drags on ).

I forget now, am I able to transfer the whole lot, domain name & all ( my ownership ??? ) to another host ?

As I say I'll go through your suggestions ASAP, thanks again.

I've been updating my post with some details on using a standard FTP program, which I suggest you try. If the server can't be contacted, or the login is refused, then it's a problem with the server or login details they gave you, you'd need to check with them or their website. IMHO it's a good idea to get familiar with standard FTP, in case you need it - it's the fallback file access method that should work even if you have FrontPage or web browser problems.

Sure, you can transfer the domain to a different host, the key step is changing the DNS Name Server addresses with your domain registrar. The new hoster would give you those addresses. They'd also give you an IP address that you could use to create and test the site, and only change the DNS details when you're ready for the new site to go live.

Keef
20th Jan 2008, 15:43
As others have said, FTP shouldn't be a problem. My daughter used FrontPage to build a website for her work, and had all sorts of problems when the site grew and they changed provider. That's now sorted, and she uses FileZilla (one of the best FTP clients) to upload stuff to the site. She still uses FrontPage (but I'm sure she'll be cured soon).

If you are working on the site, I would recommend you download everything that's there now (the .php stuff and the database - probably MySQL or similar) before you make any changes. Burn it to a CD, check it's all there, and put it in a safe place. It's very easy to lose the lot with one wrong command, or a glitched piece of software. FTP will usually allow you to download it without too much difficulty. Some ISPs don't allow SQL download and will ask for £50 or so to make a CD or DVD that they post you. When choosing a new ISP, check that and don't choose one that does that!

Changing providers isn't a serious problem: your site will be "down" for anything up to two days while the DNS change filters through the Internet. You need the information to change the settings so that the new DNS appears against your web address, but that's not difficult. I did it, so it has to be easy!

Double Zero
20th Jan 2008, 22:28
Thanks again to all of you - will work on your suggestions. There's always the calibrated sledgehammer & ( white hot ) credit card as plan B...

Ta, DZ