PDA

View Full Version : How will cargo airlines be affected?

ljmf
19th Sep 2001, 22:54
I`m just about to start flying for a prodominantly cargo airline and I was wondering how this crisis in the aviation industry might effect cargo operations in Europe & the rest of the world.

Does anybody know???? I`m very worried !!!

The Guvnor
19th Sep 2001, 23:15
Prior to the 11th September, things looked bleak for the cargo airlines. However, with a US blanket ban on belly cargo, this could be its saviour. However, I don't know if the ban on belly cargo will apply to the UK/Europe.

Hope that helps.

Kaptein Max
20th Sep 2001, 03:21
Cargo airlines will see a drop in revenue because of the recession. I think the operations will be less affected than for passenger flying, since it is difficult to cut frequencies in a route structure dominated by "once a night" flights. And there is no "leisure" cargo.

CR2
20th Sep 2001, 10:35
Don't shoot me, but I get the feeling this terrorist attack will lead to an upswing.
As Guv mentioned, an embargo on pax aircraft belly freight is a possibility. Rate rises have been mooted for some time now. And finally, loads are back to normal after a miserable summer.
And if anything happens in the middle east, there will be plently of work around for freighters.
During the Gulf War, we did charter after charter, earning a packet in the process.
An Atlas colleague told me that they'd "unparked" all their 742s.

TowerDog
20th Sep 2001, 13:02
And Atlas Air (Stansted) is recruiting pilots.

Good times ahead for the freight dogs

sapco2
20th Sep 2001, 13:04
Cargo rat,
I'm inclined to agree with you and Guvnor -
you've been talking a lot of sense just recently!

GlueBall
20th Sep 2001, 20:26
Busy with new AMC (Air Mobility Command) contracts to Europe. Busy with backlogged freight from last week. Busy with perishables (incl. flowers of all things)! In every deep recession, or war, there are winners. Air Cargo Dogs! :cool:

freightdoggy dog
20th Sep 2001, 21:42
Have to agree with cargo rat. Heavylift made an absolute packet out of the Falklands and the Gulf War. :cool:

Cee of Gee
23rd Sep 2001, 03:51
Fellow freightdogs,
Also don't forget the annual christmas 'silly season' is almost on us again. Maybe this will help disguise the overall situation.
It's going to be interesting to see if the usual panic ensues!

CR2
23rd Sep 2001, 12:31
Let's just hope the insurance issues are sorted out PDQ. Otherwise we can all just stay at home..

Abbeville
23rd Sep 2001, 16:50
CX just advised they are likely to park some freighters against the fence in the near future.

CXF currently ops 5 x 400F 4 x 200F and AHK ops 3 x 200F.

neil armstrong
23rd Sep 2001, 18:21
DHL is busy ,i did ask some people about the load factors and they are steady and on some routes even up.
I hope it stay's like that.

Neil

mutt
24th Sep 2001, 07:08
Does anyone know the logic behind banning all belly cargo on passenger flights? I personally cant see any reason for this, especially as passenger checked in baggage usually isnt scanned in the USA.

At present we are not allowed to carry bally cargo into the USA, but we are allowed to carry it to Europe.

Mutt.

CR2
24th Sep 2001, 08:54
Mutt: an over-reaction IMHO.

Hunter58
24th Sep 2001, 12:31
Yes, I agree with CR2.

I've never seen so many charters in September as right now. Think about it, there are so many factories in the world that need their supplies 'just in time'. The stuff has to move and the backlog of a week or more of 'no belly' is enromous. Someone once told me that each day missing in the bellies was one full week of operations for the freighters, just to take the backlog away.

SO for the next few months, we live close to paradise. But will that be sufficient for January? I have some doubts.

richie smith
25th Sep 2001, 17:56
Anybody out there know of any jobs for Flt Engineers, as I'm about to get my P45

Captain Numpty
26th Sep 2001, 02:36
Try Atlantic Airlines at Coventry 02476 301717? 2 x DC-6's and Electra's but the Electra's are (I think) 2 man flight decks now.

However, you might need to have a CPL as their F/O's double up at Engineers.....Good Luck

C.N.

Conc
29th Sep 2001, 15:26
Captain Numpty is correct, all of Atlantic Airlines Electras are now 2 crew aircraft and the DC-6s fly with pilots in the middle seat. The company doesn't currently employ any Flight Engineers. The only UK companies I have seen advertise for FEs recently were Channex and AFX. I have also heard a rumour the Air Contractors may be looking for some people for the Hercules soon. Good luck.

Cat-Club
29th Sep 2001, 20:52
richie smith

Cougar are looking for crew to operate the latest Super27 Cargo...out of STN. Fill in the form online...

CC
www.cougar-ltd.co.uk (http://www.cougar-ltd.co.uk)

The Guvnor
1st Oct 2001, 00:50
Air Contractors may well be looking for L100 guys but as they are on the ZS register and leased from Safair, you'll (a) need to contact Safair in JNB; and (b) need a South African licence.