View Full Version : Phill Jong fuming

Frogman1484
19th Jan 2008, 02:45
Apparently Phill Jong was raving and ranting about the overmanning of the bases at a meeting the other day. He was apparently pissed that he now has to deal with the 30-40 extra crew in the bases which are going to have to PX and cost him money by letting them come up and down on a Pax a/c, and with the associated loss of productivity.

I wonder what he is going to do when the crew start leaving for jobs in OZ.

So far 11 FO's have resigned in the last 3 months.

3 flying service in OZ
2 Emirates
1 Qantas
1 Jetstar
1 ANA
1 Freighter job in Europe
1 Took chief pilot job in Canada
1 Tiger

Apparently there are a load of guys getting interviews with Jetstar for 320 jobs.

Standby Phill...I hope you enjoy your UK base when you get sent there!!!!

Here is to COS08...the straw that broke the back.

Baywatcher
19th Jan 2008, 04:24
You reap what you sow!

muddweller
19th Jan 2008, 11:46
I loved the pathetic attempt at discouraging applicants! Best laugh I'd had in quite a while. Sorry Phill. You have painted yourself into a corner nicely this time!

I love it............

rick.shaw
19th Jan 2008, 12:22
Yeah - funny how all of a sudden the rules can be bent when it suits the company!

backspace
20th Jan 2008, 08:27
Well, time will tell. Lets see how many get past the command selection panel and if you manage that hurdle get past the command training. Perhaps there won't be that many over staffed by the end of the company process.

Not that I am being cynical!!!

tryhard
21st Jan 2008, 08:46
Who went to QF? What fleet..........Initials only please!!

Loopdeloop
21st Jan 2008, 09:36
You missed out the SFO who put his notice in last month to leave for CityJet in the UK.

Harbour Dweller
21st Jan 2008, 10:00
The guy who left for QF was a Sydney base DEFO. Had not even been in CX more than 2 minutes before getting jack sh*t of the place.

Not sure of the initials.

Mr. Bloggs
22nd Jan 2008, 02:22
Since all the freight pilot left JFK and went to Vancouver (for the Canadian Dollar and to live in Vancouver) now Phil Jong is asking for guys to go on Temp Bases in JFK.:eek:

Now if Phil would have increased the pay in JFK, the pilots would not have left but CX does not do anything until they are forced to. Remember that.:ugh:

For the former JFK pilots, would it not be better if you took a YTO preferred port and have them PX you to JFK? Would it then be on the company’s dime?:8

Seems Phil is trying to clean up his mess again. What is he going to do when the F/O’s go to Jetstar? Start a bond?:hmm:

Couldn’t be happening to a finer guy.:ok:

Numero Crunchero
22nd Jan 2008, 14:57
Well guys, I think you should take this overmanning of the bases as a good thing. It means you are more likely to PX to/from HKG, according to Phil. That gives you 9+ hours to sleep or study or watch movies, if it is on the pax a/c. Those 3 man flights to/from Australia are hard work. Now with overmanning CX will ensure you are well rested in J/F and ready to do a days full of chores with the family...and you get half credit as well!

I have been based, temp based and commuted....give me commuting anyday as at least I get a few hours rest. PXing is even better than commuting - free ticket, 1st priority, no downgrades (unlike my FOC) - 50% credit for zero work...much better than our free reserve!

You are more likely to have reserves on your base - and because it is so overmanned you are unlikely to be called out;-) You will be G day limited and duty hour limited since the PX time counts as duty hours - so you no longer have to worry about those troublesome 84+hr months.

So all in all, you are likely to 'work' the same number of days but a lot of that work will involve selecting which wine you want with your meal PXing backwards and forwards;-)

Maybe I just see the silver lining in any cloud;-)

HardRock
22nd Jan 2008, 21:26
No one can seriously be contemplating taking a New York Based Roster can they? Isn't that why everyone left? What a joke.

ACMS
23rd Jan 2008, 00:13
NC: commuting better than being based!! You must be on drugs RL

How can you say being stuffed into the jump seat or Y class for 9 hours after arriving from a long haul is better?
I too have commuted and been based and I can tell you being based is a whole lot better by far ( forgetting the money side )

Commuting would be ok if you could get J class all the time, but now days it's the jump seat or Y class 75% of the time.

cpdude
23rd Jan 2008, 01:21
ACMS,

I believe he means commuting on company time also known as PX'ing.

So what's better...every month having 20 hours of sitting in J/F on a company aircraft or working an extra 10 hours? Unfortunately, much of the PX'ing will actually be PT'ing and sitting in Y class on regional flights.

Edited to say that I'm referring to the YVR base situation with regards to regional PT'ing.

ACMS
23rd Jan 2008, 03:13
cpdude: sorry but I disagree with your interpretation of NC's post
I have been based, temp based and commuted....give me commuting anyday as at least I get a few hours rest.

seems to me he thinks commuting is better than being based.

It's only later on he mentions PXing is even better than commuting -

So he thinks:
1/ PXing is best
2/ Commuting second best
3/ Being based and operating up/down third best

I disagree.................sitting in Y or the Jump seat whilst COMMUTING is not good at all.

So if you have to live in Oz my order would be:
1/ PXing
2/ Being based and never worrying about flights
3/ Commuting in Y or the J/S.

Now if you could easily get J or F while commuting then it would bump up the order!!
With these 40 freighter guys being based in SYD and Pxing soon it looks as if J and F will be EVEN HARDER TO GET.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We HKG guys/girls lose again................

Numero Crunchero
23rd Jan 2008, 03:39
wow, this went from being a discussion about the overmanning of bases to a discussion on how stupid NC is with his views on commuting;-)

The point is I would rather spend 20-40hrs a month in F/J PXing than 10-20hrs doing 3man to/from Australia. Lynch Bage is much nicer than cabin crew coffee;-)

Yes I prefer commuting - but thats because I dont want to live on the property(headland hotel) when in HKG. I have a nice apt to return to when I am in HKG. I try to choose my flts carefully - with up to 4 flts a day to Mel and antoher 4 to Syd it is possible to get J more often than not. If I have to travel EY I try to do it on the day flight. Anyway, each to his own. I have been based and I have commuted. I prefer commuting - which should make someone happy as that is one less base occupied with someone who has over 20 years to retirement;-)

BusyB
23rd Jan 2008, 06:45
ACMS

"Now if you could easily get J or F while commuting then it would bump up the order!!
With these 40 freighter guys being based in SYD and Pxing soon it looks as if J and F will be EVEN HARDER TO GET.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We HKG guys/girls lose again................"

Good point.:ooh:

US Marine
23rd Jan 2008, 13:22
dont bet on it.....freighter flying means freighter positioning. might seem like a good idea to get a freighter basing but these guys have obviously not spent much time on the freighter.

you get treated like ****.....positioning on the freighter will be the norm for 3 guys on every flight to hkg, patterns will be max length, days off in the headlands will be used as free reserve....and in a years time, dont fill this site up with complaints coz i told you so...today!

BusyB
23rd Jan 2008, 17:13
USM

Notice to crew 025/2002 on Freighter positioning practices means a lot will be on pax aircraft:)

Loopdeloop
23rd Jan 2008, 18:08
Care to share the contents of that NTC, BB?
It's not available on anthraCX any more.

BusyB
23rd Jan 2008, 18:24
Sorry can't copy & paste it for some reason but basicly it says that you normally use pax a/c from a port served by CX pax services. The AOA might have a copy of the original.:)

ACMS
24th Jan 2008, 07:21
boys do the math.

Only 2 freighters a week from SYD to HKG and it goes via MEL.

A total of 7 flights per month.

Only 5 spare seats on the Freighter. ( assuming 3 operating crew )

That's 35 seats per month available to Px.

Therefore they will use the PAX service for Pxing a lot.

according to published schedules and catering for Feb 2008.
CX 023/022

Millstream
24th Jan 2008, 17:50
Boys Check Your CoS,

You will find that the different ways of DTing are fully explained.

DT on the freighter is not an option.

So why are you discussing DT on the freighter? Just ask to be positioned on a CX pax A/C or any other carrier - as per your CoS.

Milly

sisyphos
24th Jan 2008, 19:57
everybody who likes the idea of a base without sufficient flights out of the latter :

the classic crew is basically facing exactly that problem : soon all the long range flights will be done by the -400 ( I am already paxing alot at the moment). that means headland regurlarly up to the maximum of 12 days, followed by the MINIMUM off days required. go figure:mad::mad::mad:

sizematters
25th Jan 2008, 01:41
actually what it really means is a -400 conversion in the very near future...............................

NewEssO
28th Jan 2008, 21:12
So if you have to live in Oz my order would be:
1/ PXing
2/ Being based and never worrying about flights
3/ Commuting in Y or the J/S.

wow, this went from being a discussion about the overmanning of bases to a discussion on how stupid NC is with his views on commuting;-)
The point is I would rather spend 20-40hrs a month in F/J PXing than 10-20hrs doing 3man to/from Australia. Lynch Bage is much nicer than cabin crew coffee;-)
Yes I prefer commuting - but thats because I dont want to live on the property(headland hotel) when in HKG. I have a nice apt to return to when I am in HKG. I try to choose my flts carefully - with up to 4 flts a day to Mel and antoher 4 to Syd it is possible to get J more often than not. If I have to travel EY I try to do it on the day flight. Anyway, each to his own. I have been based and I have commuted. I prefer commuting - which should make someone happy as that is one less base occupied with someone who has over 20 years to retirement;-)

Thanks NC and ACMS.

I might as well start looking to how to make my commuting lifestyle as smooth as possible because it sure looks like I wont' be based in NA for another 10 years!!!

we are planning to have kids in 4-5 years, you think they'll know who I am? Probably not!!! :}