PDA

View Full Version : Copy VCR to DVD

Brian Abraham
19th Jan 2008, 02:25
Not strickly a computer question. Daughter wishes to copy her ballet efforts recorded on VCR to DVD. Know nothing of the subject so seek opinions as to what mode the knowlegable among you suggest I should copy them in - SEP,SLP, EP, LP, ESP, LSP, SP, HSP, HQ
Thanks in advance - Brian

airmuster
19th Jan 2008, 03:29
Not being a geek or such like but having done this a bit, I suggest you record in HQ if you want quality. The faster you record the less quality & less space taken up on disc.

I do not remember all the different modes but does not take to much time to look up info which should be in the DVD manual.

If you have more trouble I can look up my manual.

Good luck

BEagle
19th Jan 2008, 08:38
I'm not sure that anything of higher quality than Normal ('SP' for Panasonic DMR-E55) is worth the effort with a normal (non S-VHS) VCR source.

All the transfers I've done from my old VHS tapes have been from a VCR 'composite' output to the similar input on the DVR.

Don't be tempted to use RF transfer - that's the lowest possible transfer source!

Background Noise
19th Jan 2008, 09:14
As BEagle says - your DVD recorder manual may give the EP/SP etc equivalents to VHS tape but recording in a higher quality mode than they are currently on tape is unnecessary and will simply result in getting less footage on each disc. Conversely, recording in lower Q mode will allow you to get more on each disc. I would try a disc in various qualities and see if there is any difference.

Unixman
20th Jan 2008, 12:17
I think this is what you want
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=96885&&source=14&doy=search

It connects from the video sockets on TV/Video/etc to a USB port on a computer

mart52
20th Jan 2008, 20:09
An alternative to using the PC is a Hard Drive /DVD recorder.
About a year ago I bought a very nice Pioneer combined Hard Drive/DVD/Freeview box which allows recording the output of a VCR via one of the SCART inputs onto the Hard Drive. This can then be edited if necessary (to remove commercials or any unwanted bits) and recorded onto a DVD.
Moved all my old, but wanted VHS stuff with very little effort.
Regards
Martin

Devlin Carnet
23rd Jan 2008, 08:06
Hi,
I just use my old Video recorder coupled to my DVD recorder with a scart lead,
press play on the video and record on the DVD and Voila.
Quality depends on how much you want to fit on the disc.