PDA

View Full Version : A question RE: Degrees and aviation.

WilliamOK
18th Jan 2008, 00:57
I was thinking the other day, (whoa, since when does that happen?) and I was wondering whether anybody had done a degree at uni in a field totally unrelated to aviation, and ended up with a job as a pilot...

I'm thinking of going to uni and doing a degree in architecture, but I also want to finish getting my commercial licence. I'm wondering if it's even possible to go through uni as well as going and getting my CPL...

I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

Cheers.

neville_nobody
18th Jan 2008, 01:12
Plenty of people have done degrees in something then gone into aviation. Often starting flying as a second career. I would suggest that due to cost involved these days, if you want to fly, why you would spend alot of money doing something not aviation related? Also in an interview they will ask you "so if you always wanted to fly why did you do architecture?"

However the flip side is that you have something else to add to your bow and a degree in something won't do any harm if you can afford to do both that is.

Personally I am of the opinion that if you want to fly, just do it, don't spend time doing something else, just in case. However plenty of people here would disagree with that point of view.

geeup
18th Jan 2008, 01:18
I did a degree before finishing my CPL, whilst i enjoyed uni it has done nothing to enhance my aviation career. Forget uni stick to flying if thats the career you want.

But thats my opinion

Awnick
18th Jan 2008, 03:35
It is possible to get a uni degree and fly but it means hours upon hours of study. Im currently doing my CPL and have had to defer my uni degree (accounting) as i know am working and its time that i could be focusing on flying (not to mention bloody boring at that).

Id agree if flying is what you want to do, hook in to it as much as possible and get it done ASAP, and once you've got a job maybe do a uni degree.

Happy Flying :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Jan 2008, 04:03
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours a few weeks ago talking to a young fella with an Electronic Engineering degree - currently flying SP twin turboprop.

Image my surprise to discover he also had a PhD!

Did explain his fascination with the Forktailed Doctor Killer !!!

Dr :8