PDA

View Full Version : Qantas closing down flap track component overhaul at sydney mascot

satos
18th Jan 2008, 00:33
I heard from a good source the other day that they will be closing the flap track facility down and outsourcing the work to Jet Turbine services (JTS) in Melbourne.
Can anyone in Qantas components confirm this.
When will all this outsourcing end?

AEROMEDIC
18th Jan 2008, 01:11
It's apparently true. According to a source, the work will be carried at Avalon in Hangar 1.
It also may extend to flight control surfaces generally.
I wonder if they are using Forstaff or QF engineers for this......?

Short_Circuit
18th Jan 2008, 01:57
H171, H416 etc are the next to meet with the bulldozer to make way for parking / access Though for A380. Later it will probably be the north end of SYD Domestic terminal as it will need to be expanded Though H96 and around the corner. So too will Admin Buildings MA & MB, old EOC and sims supposedly for new A380 hangars.

But, hey, we won't be servicing the A380 so why build a few double hangars

satos
18th Jan 2008, 23:28
In Fridays Australian newspaper JTS are advertising for component fitters,painters,composite and electro platers possible for the relocation of Qantas's flap track work.
I have heard that they cannot get anyone from Sydney to come over to help with the transition (don't blame them considering they are loosing their jobs) and JTS has a habit of hiring people from overseas especially from Scotland.
The Qantas worker gets shafted again.

chockchucker
18th Jan 2008, 23:55
Overseas workers, especially from Scotland? Didn't know that there was an oversupply of such people in Scotland. Interesting though, Normally these mobs troll for labour in asia. Wonder what the attraction is for the Scots at JTS?

blow.n.gasket
19th Jan 2008, 03:31
Cheap Haggis in the canteen?:}

NAMPS
19th Jan 2008, 05:13
Might have something to do with the nicer Oz climate.

whatdouknow
21st Jan 2008, 07:28
From what I heard, Flaps only at Avalon H1 not tracks...

Could it be a mistake?

another superlame
21st Jan 2008, 21:19
I am surprised the fitting shop has lasted as long as they have. All of the good workers left some time ago and it has just been supported by the deadwood too afraid too leave QF.
I saw some amazing work carried out in that workshop but as with all good things in QF they have come to an end and the remaining few stragglers refuse to accept that there is no future at QF and that the real world looms. No doubt a daunting thought when you have been there for so long

chemical alli
21st Jan 2008, 22:00
just another outsourcing conudrom,send it all away then get held to ransom in five years,thumbs up qe on your inabilty to build a world leading airline,you should rebase engineering to new zealand at least then you can follow all the other sheep.

another superlame
21st Jan 2008, 22:14
The fact is QF was slowly outsourcing stuff from the fitting shop over the past 10 years. Even when they proved that they could overhaul landing gear cheaper and bettere than the MROs they still sent the work outside. Their master plan of getting rid of all E&M is gaining more and more momentum,truly it is only a matter of time until QF exists purely as an airline with planes pilots and hosties and nothing else. When I worked there I didn't want to believe it would happen, now I can see it is happening and happening faster than I ever thought it would.
What Geoff Dixon wants Geoff Dixon gets. That is all there is to it.

Apophis
22nd Jan 2008, 00:34
Do you know JTS is owned by.

Qantas:eek:

another superlame
22nd Jan 2008, 01:13
50% Qantas 50% Patrick corporation/Virgin
But that doesn't change anything

Syd eng
22nd Jan 2008, 02:28
Not sure if that is the status at the moment. I hear that a transaction of some kind was carried out recently. Think it was Patrick/Toll selling out. Not sure if QANTAS bought it or another operator bought in.

Apophis
22nd Jan 2008, 06:26
Dec 2006 –

Qantas acquires 100% of JTS. Business continues independent operations as a wholly owned subsidiary.