PDA

View Full Version : Light twin and single piston operating costs

PlankBlender
17th Jan 2008, 23:46
Hi everyone,

for the benefit of us plank or rotary owners and wannabe owners, can I ask people to post directly or via links any information regarding operating costs (esp. maintenance/engine/prop reserves, TBOH for different engines, etc.) for any flying thing that may be of interest. I couldn't really find very much in the pprune archives, but maybe someone can help out there also..

I'll make a start, so far I've been mainly getting my numbers from planequest, however I am not sure about the validity of some of the numbers posted there. Also everything there is geared towards the US market, and as we know the Aussie aviation market has some peculiarities which leads to some quite different figures/prices sometimes..

Some local information I do have (not all verified, conservative estimates) is for the traditional training machines, i.e.:

Piper Warrior: fuel burn ca. 36l/hr average, engine TBOH 2000hrs, engine replacement cost between 20-25k all-in, prop replacement around 4-5k all-in, 100 hourly around 3-4k, annual similar?!

Piper Seminole: fuel burn ca. 80l/hr average, engine TBOH 2000hrs, engine replacement costs (both engines) between 60-70k all-in, prop replacements (both) 8-10k all-in, cost of 50/100 hourly around 5k/100hrs, annual around 3-5k depending on age?!

Thanks all ppruners for sharing your knowledge!