PDA

View Full Version : Some mp3 tracks will not play

Farmer 1
17th Jan 2008, 11:45
A most confusing and annoying problem. I have a large quantity of music files, virtually all of which I have edited myself, and converted to mp3 format.

They all play correctly on the computer/s, using Windows Media Player, or any other application. However, when I transfer them to another device, a mobile phone, for instance, some of the tracks are corrupted, and play only garbage. Sometimes, this involves the device converting the tracks into another format, sometimes it does not.

If I originally edited a complete LP, for example, usually all the tracks are OK, but sometimes four or five of them might be affected. I have compared the attributes, and can see no differences at all, save the track titles.

It is always the same tracks that are affected, no matter what I do. I have even tried rerecording them, from the original tape or record, but the result is always the same. I have tried inserting a selection of a problem track into a "good" one, and that inserted part is still affected, while the rest is fine. I have tried swapping track titles, to no effect. If I transfer them back to the computer, the tracks play as normal. The same tracks are affected on both the desktop and laptop.

The problem seems to have nothing to do with the date, or state of updates on the computer.

It is as if "It" has decided it will just have nothing to do with the particular tracks.

Any ideas, anyone? Pretty please?

Julian Hensey
21st Jan 2008, 12:50
Try ripping the tracks at different bit rates. Some mp3 players kick up a fuss with very high bit rates.

Also use a different ripper/encoder might assist.

To get around some problems I had I had to record the LP's to DVD through a stereo input, then rip from the DVD using software available just to rip the DVD soundtrack into MP3.

Farmer 1
21st Jan 2008, 14:18
Thanks, Julian. Already tried 1 & 2 several times.

I'll try the CD method.

rasobey
21st Jan 2008, 15:28
I don't suppose you're able to try the files on yet another portable device? I kind of have the same trouble: my MP3 player plays some .OGG files, but not others. No idea why this happens. But they play fine on my Desktop computer. I never did find a solution, partly because it was only 1 in every 100 songs affected.

I hope you find the solution.

Bushfiva
22nd Jan 2008, 04:21
my MP3 player plays some .OGG files, but not others. No idea why this happens

Assuming you specifically mean Vorbis, not all players support all quality settings. iAudio G3, for example, doesn't support q-1 or q-2. Some of the iRivers barf when the instantaneous bitrate is below 96Kbps or over 225 Kbps. Sorry for the thread drift.

To the original poster with MP3 woes, do you use constant bitrate or VBR?

Farmer 1
26th Jan 2008, 07:43
To the original poster with MP3 woes, do you use constant bitrate or VBR?

I've tried every possible combination on the menu, Bushfiva. Any ideas?