PDA

View Full Version : *** Cadets now 3 fewer

Guptar
17th Jan 2008, 06:58
Word is that 3 cadets from a certain regional alirline have pulled the pin already. No AOC, no aircraft, no CFI, no grade 1's.....or grade 2's for that matter.

ABX
17th Jan 2008, 10:01
Well, this is a rumour network...

Has anyone else got some details?

I've got the stopwatch going to see how long it takes Krusty and Kavorka to arrive.:E

Tazdevil
18th Jan 2008, 01:08
Word is that 3 cadets from a certain regional alirline have pulled the pin already.

What information do you have as the start number???? There were only 16 starters.

KRUSTY 34
18th Jan 2008, 21:43
Gidday ABX.

Sorry it took so long, been a bit flat out lately!

Rumour has it that all is not well down in Shangrila! Those charged with making it work have come to the realisation that it may be just a tad ambitious considering the resorces (or lack of them) available. Evidently they have sent a communique to the board, and it was rather blunt.

Tackle the real issues first REX. you are bleeding experienced pilots that you cannot afford to lose. 2008 will see bloodletting on a scale that will make '07 look like a paper cut. If you do not retain what pilots are left. You will lose the airline!

Lodown
19th Jan 2008, 04:01
12, or even 6 months ago, management (had they been prepared to concede to T&C improvements) possibly could have approached pilots and negotiated in good faith and slowed the bloodletting.

The pilots as a group have the bit between their teeth now. If the training plans fall over, is there a Plan B or will they make one up as they go?

If CASA ever get around to relaxing the rules on protecting RPT routes (and they might not have a choice soon if some effective lobbying is done to local councils and the Regionals fail to service scheduled routes) opportunities will abound for owner operators.

crank1000
19th Jan 2008, 07:49
It is true that one Rex Cadet dropped out this week but the rest on course are apparently not quitting any time soon. They are keen and just anxious to get in an aeroplane. Pity they don't have any yet.

Interesting to so how keen the remaining one's are in a few months time.

One question I do have is why anyone with a CPL would put themselves on a cadet course when they could be out earning and building hours instead?

apache
20th Jan 2008, 07:38
with each day that goes by before the new EBA, due to the shortage kicking in, Rex pilots are getting in a better, and better bargaining position.

too true.... but WILL they use it ?
With so many guys and gals now getting commands in 12 months (or even less), they may think that the world is just dandy, as their wage has gone up 250% since day 1, and by 60% since being yr1 F/O!!!
Also, with many many MANY pilots leaving, will they just vote yes, so that they are not involved in protracted talks which threaten to delay their pay rise so that they CAN leave with more $$$ ?(ie 6 weeks leave plus 20 DIL's at an extra 2.5 % starts to add up. Why hold out for more, when you can take this and run, and forget everyone else)
Whilst REX's training bill will probably be UP 300% this fiscal year, their wage bill will be DOWN, due to that fact that 2nd yr captains earn 15G less than 10yr+ captains.... and 1st and2nd yr F/O's earn 5-6000 LESS than 3rd yr F/O's.

The company will sprout the usual lines of "we cannot afford to pay you any more because the cost of oil etc etc etc...." SORRY LKH... that is why you have a FUEL surcharge!!!! Fuel goes up in price for US too!!! it now costs us more to come to work every day to do the same job for the same pay... yet REX will not lose out because it CAN raise fuel prices every week if it has to!... get a new argument!

Personally, I think that the BEST way for the AFAP to go is to peg a SAAB captains wage as a percentage of say a 737 driver, and that of an F/O to 70% of a captain.

MY question is : IF the Cadet scheme fails, who will swing for it ? we all know who was the "brains" behind it. Will he have to guts to admit it ?or will he rant and rave and blame everybody but himself?

KRUSTY 34
20th Jan 2008, 15:25
Lowdown.

You're certainly correct in what REX mangement should have done. but I'm not so sure about the "opportunities" for other operators. They'll still need pilots!

Gidday apache ol' mate.

Agree 100% with you assesment of the likely outcome of the EBA. A Couple of months ago I spoke to one of the Eastern negotiators. They went in with a whole range of initiatives in an effort to mitigate the coming bloodshed. What did they get for their efforts? Indifference and a hardball attitude. basically they were told, "This is what's on offer, take it or leave it"

They finally went back to the troops with a substandard result, fully expecting it to be voted down. And guess what? It got up! The reason of course is that the majority of pilots at Eastern see themselves somewhere else in 12 months time, so they basically don't give a "rats". It will be the same for REX.

The ironic thing in this, is that these clowns who pass themselves off as managers have probably gone back to their masters and revelled in another EBA "win". Through their arrogance they have again failed to engage their largest and now most irreplacable employee group. It'll be interesing in 6-12 months time to see the shaking heads in the board room.

It leaves me shaking my head that's for sure.