PDA

View Full Version : Substance Dependence & Psychological Testing

Zorman
17th Jan 2008, 06:53
Hello. I recently went for my preliminary FAA medical where I admitted to a history of smoking cannabis and depression (caused, unsurprisingly, by the cannabis). Back in my late teens and early twenties I used to smoke cannabis almost every day. Over 5 years has passed since I last went anywhere near the stuff (in fact I dont even smoke cigarettes anymore) but of course my medical was deferred to the FAA for their decission and a few weeks later I got a reply saying I had to send them Personal Statements attesting to how much I smoked and dates etc. and also give allsorts of details about my depression and its treatment.

I sent them everything they asked for but the other day I received another letter requesting that I go for a serious of psychological tests. The letter says:

‘Please submit the psychological portion of the substance abuse psychiatric and psychological examinations, in accordance with the enclosed specifications that also address the history of depression and suicide attempt. The evaluation should be performed by an evaluator who is familiar with aviation evaluations. All materials provided to us must be provided to and commented on by both evaluators.’

and attached is a document that is very similar to this one (http://www.leftseat.com/pdffiles/subabuse.pdf)that I found on the net. The problem is, I live in the UK and they generally tend to use different tests over here and so I have been unable to locate anyone who feels they are fully competent to conduct all those tests.

It seems I may have to fly to the USA in order to take these tests and I am posting in the hope that maybe someone here may be able to (or may know someone who is able to) perform these tests in the UK or in the USA if it must be.

And before someone should mention it, yes I am well awake that this is what I get and that my history has caught up with me :sad: but at least I was honest on my medical, and not everyone admits to it!