PDA

View Full Version : Own worst enemy?

partyreptile
15th May 2001, 18:26
rumor has it that at Atlas Air mainline their -200 check airmen may be the rank and file pilots own worst enemy! Recently a 200 ck.airman EXTENDED his trip (volunteered for extra flying) in order to finish the IOE training of an AACS captain trainee! Lets see--Atlas just furloughed 100 pilots off the 200, and Capt. X decides to "go the extra mile" to assist an AACS pilot while his own breathern are now out on the street. Seems to me that there might not be
as much pilot unity over there as they make out. Any response from mainline Atlas folks?

Edited to remove the named individual. Don't try that again.

[This message has been edited by Capt PPRuNe (edited 15 May 2001).]

CargoRat2
15th May 2001, 23:39
Please be very very careful about mentioning names on the PPRuNe forum.
This is supposed to be anon. Some know who I am, some don't. That's my choice.
I am going to ask a moderator to have a look (PPRUNE TOWERS to be exact). I feel distinctly uneasy about real names being mentioned. If the moderators are happy, then ok - go ahead. If not, expect the padlock.

------------------
rgds Rat

Beaver Driver
16th May 2001, 16:32
PR2
This is exactly the outcome Atlas managers want. They want a divided pilot force....Mainline vs. AACS, Instructors vs. Line guys, Pilots vs. Engineers, -200 guys vs. -400 guys. You can see how much they accomplished with the furlough, it's as though they wrote the script for union busting. Meanwhile they go on earning their multi-million salaries, forgiving the home mortgage loans they have had the company make for them and generally wasting resources. This isn't about caring for people or pilots, this is about one thing, MONEY.

I agree that the furloughing of mainline pilots while hiring continues at AACS is unconsionalbe, but the real enemies are the managers who have precipitated this act. Don't worry though, in the coming years the instructors who sacrificed for the good of the many, will be remembered. And those who didn't will also be remembered although it won't matter much as they will probably be where they most desire to go anyway.....management.

DownIn3Green
16th May 2001, 16:59
Beaver,

You´re right it´s about money...how much override does the ck. airman get?

Guess that covers his ALPA dues and assesment for his Comair Brothers...

Beaver Driver
16th May 2001, 17:51
DI3G

It's really not that much; 10% overide and a 72 hour guarantee. You'd think they could just un-volunteer. Unfortunately the company made it very plain to them that any action such as this would be construed as a self-help project and they would immediately take steps to stop it. After watching the US courts pay American Airlines 45 million bucks taken from APA's coffers, I guess we felt we couldn't afford to take that route.

So, our check airman our stuck, and so are we. Even the gentleman in question, who is well known to the rest of us, was probably forced into this by Atlas management. "Take this trip or you're fired" is a common statement heard on the phone by many. It accurately reflects the draconian atmosphere here at Atlas. Some guys call their bluff and some guys don't have the 'gnads. This guy doesn't usually have the intestinal fotitude to stand up to them....if he even wants to.

[This message has been edited by Beaver Driver (edited 16 May 2001).]