PDA

View Full Version : 50% Airservices GAAP increase – no complaints

Dick Smith
16th Jan 2008, 23:48
Most will know – or maybe many don’t – that Airservices are currently increasing the terminal navigation charge at the secondary airports by 50% over a three year period. I think we are right in the middle of this period now.

Why is it that there are no complaints? Here you have an incredibly wealthy Government owned organisation, giving the Government record dividends through profits, but it is putting on a 50% increase that will affect the GA operators at the secondary airports.

I notice - and support - the major campaign against the increases at Bankstown and other airports being instigated by the airport owners. These increases affect rentals etc. Why then is there no mention of the staggering increase (well above inflation) by Airservices?

Whereas the Minister can have no virtually no effect on the charges levied by the Bankstown Airport owner (because the airport has already been sold off at obviously too high a price), he can have a major effect on what Airservices does at these airports. In effect, the Minister owns Airservices.

I look forward to comments.