PDA

View Full Version : Commercial exams

Heliplates
16th Jan 2008, 20:19
Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding the commercial exams and i would be really greatful if you guys could help me out.

1. Can you apply and start studing for your commercial exams before you have compleated your ppl? I know you would'nt be able to sit any exams but is there anything to stop me studying for them as my ppl may take a couple more months to compleat due to weather and lack of time.

2. I am not sure which way to go after my cpl, FI or IR. If i sat the ATPL exams and did not do an IR couse with in the time limit do all the exams become void? or just the ones that are related to the IR void?

3. Are the ATPL exams much harder than the cpl? I was one told that theres was'nt much difference as the cpl had more questions per exam.

Any information would be a great help.

Thanks Heliplates.

helimutt
16th Jan 2008, 20:28
1. nothing to stop you starting study for exams
2. as it stands at the minute, you would need to do an IR within 36 months of passing last ATPL exam or else, beyond that time, sit the IR theory exams (7 of them) similar to cpl level but shorter I think.
3. ATPL slightly more involved than CPL but it depends what you want to do with your licence. Do you want to go offshore? Stay onshore? If you plan on holding an IR, do the ATPL's.
If you want to work single pilot onshore, do a CPL. You can't hold an ATPL unless you have set number of hours/number of night hours/multicrew/IR/multiengine? I cant remember the exact requirements but look in LASORS for info.
Good luck with the PPL
:ok:

Whirlygig
16th Jan 2008, 20:31
There's nothing to stop you getting some text books from an ex-student and starting to brush up but you can't enrol on a course until you have your PPL. There are often various course notes for sale on fleabay but don't pay too much for them as you'll have your own set when you enrol on a course plus you'll be giving them house room rather than the files cluttering up someone else's house! If you're near Norfolk, you can have some of mine!

You have three years in order to get an IR after you've passed ATPL exams. If you don't, and later want an IR, as far as I know, you just have to sit the IR related subjects again (about half of them!)

However, if you go for CPL exams, please be aware than CPL exams plus IR exams will not get you an ATPL (with required experience) anymore.

The ATPLs are not much harder than CPL; just a bit more volume. There are certain areas of the ATPL syllabus which are not covered at CPL. In fact, none of the subjects is hard, just vast! And boring!

Cheers

Whirls

Camp Freddie
16th Jan 2008, 21:04
Heliplates,

IMO do the ATPL and keep your options open !, I originally had no intent to do the IR or offshore multi-crew and have done both.

if you limit yourself to single pilot onshore you will be suprised how poor your earnings are and how hard it is to get established.

now FI or IR !, that is my pet subject, it is simply about risk
- IR high risk/return, FI Low risk/return

and if you do an IR you really need to to be prepared to to go offshore and for that you need an ATPL otherwise you will never get past co-pilot

regards

CF

Heliplates
16th Jan 2008, 21:59
Thanks for all the replies. And thanks for the offer of the books whirls! But i am based in scotand maybe a bit far.
So is the ATPL still worth something after the 36 months (ie the same as a cpl) or do you have to do the IR exams again for it to be worth anything.

Thanks again,

Heliplates.

heli_spy
16th Jan 2008, 23:08
Re the 36 month time limit. Having passed all the JAA ATPL(H) exams and obtained your JAA CPL(H) if you did a fixed wing IR within the time limit would this 'stop the clock' and allow you to do your helicopter IR at any time past the 36 months without doing the IR exams again?

I ask as I did the ATPL(H) full time course which was all the ATPL(A) exams (less the Principles of Flight and Performance paper) and a helicopter specific Principles of Flight paper.

I'm now doing a fixed wing PPL to make use of these exams and get a CPL(A) and hopefully an IR.

Why? Because I've nothing better to do as I can't get a job with a lowly 300 hours TT rotary ! :ugh:

Camp Freddies wise words of wisdom ring true in my ears !!!

heli_spy
16th Jan 2008, 23:12
Heliplates

Further to my last.....

If you want an extended free loan of the JAA ATPL(H) manuals send me a PM with your details. I'm in Glasgow.