PDA

View Full Version : UPS V. DHL

CargoRat2
15th May 2001, 11:22
There was a thread on this somewhere; couldn't find it, but here is the result.

US DOT rules in favor of DHL Worldwide Express
WASHINGTON, May 11 (Reuters) - The U.S. Transportation Department denied a petition on Friday to cancel the registration of DHL Worldwide Express <DHL.UL> to operate as a foreign freight carrier.
The agency said there was no evidence the company is competing or will compete unfairly with U.S. companies. However, the department said it could take action in the future if there are specific allegations of unfair competition.
In February, United Parcel Service asked the government to take action against DHL Worldwide Express.
UPS argued that Deutsche Post, the majority owner of a holding company that owns DHL Worldwide Express, would use its leverage to enable its unit to engage in predatory pricing.
Deutsche Post is Germany's partially privatized postal service.
The Transportation Department said there is no evidence that there has been any unfair competition in the U.S. market by any DHL companies.

------------------
rgds Rat

mriya225
15th May 2001, 19:50
My goodness, but you all don't even wanna know what we call DHL out here.... but that's neither here nor there.
DHL would have grow threefold before ever representing a tangible threat to UPS--filing against them is just standard posturing, I guarantee it.

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

CargoRat2
15th May 2001, 23:31
I've since discovered that ROGAINE ADDICT has posted something similar on R&N. I'm going to close this one.
Edit: can't close it!. Ok ignore. See R&N for further comment etc. Sorry, Rat.
------------------
rgds Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat2 (edited 15 May 2001).]