PDA

View Full Version : This may be a stupidly naive question, but......

nosefirsteverytime
13th May 2001, 23:13
Can you hitch a ride with a cargo plane if u asked the pilots real nicely?
I'm going to need to get to Florida (from Ireland) in the next two years if I want to go to university there (Daytona Beach to be exact, Aero university, very nice but VERY expensive, I think I'd be better off talking in person to the Finance office there) Have I a chance, or is my head in the clouds?

CargoRat2
14th May 2001, 11:35
I think you'll find cargo airlines are simply not allowed to carry passengers. This is often due to the nature of Dangerous Goods we carry. We're allowed to carry "persons" directly involved with a given shipment; for example horse attendants or security staff (when flying money/gold etc). Having said that, you could always contact an airline directly, explain your position & try and wangle a "familiarisation flight".

------------------
rgds Rat

ironbutt57
15th May 2001, 08:24
most cargo airlines will carry xcm's (jumpseaters) provided they are employees(flightcrew) of an air carrier...varies from operator to operator, depending on their regulatory agency, but unlike frieghter ships, no provisions are made to carry the general public..to my knowledge

mriya225
15th May 2001, 19:57
Jumpseaters are system folks--cleared for movement by corporate. The only exceptions I know of are military personnel that ride with shipments requiring 24 hour surveilance.

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

nosefirsteverytime
16th May 2001, 22:33
I've got a second cousin working for FedEx (He's a flight manager or pilot, I think)
That help?