View Full Version : a "smarter" way in sitting CPL/ATPLs ?

soseg
16th Jan 2008, 01:04
Hi,

I'm just wondering whether theres a smarter or prefered method of sitting your CPL exams or ATPL exams?

For example... I'm thinking... I should study and sit MET before maybe FPL because I'll learn in detail how to read the wx charts and wx briefs, which I'm thinking will come up in FPL when doing all your calculations and stuff and taking weather into consideration?

i.e. any subjects that can pre-cover another subject in some detail... so that i should learn and sit that one first?

thanks

Lasiorhinus
16th Jan 2008, 04:24
Do a couple of the easy ones first: it helps to build your confidence.

ITCZ
16th Jan 2008, 08:04
Although the theory all relates to aircraft operation, each exam 'stands alone' in terms of subject matter. That is, you will not find Subject Y easier to study if you had previously studied and passed Subject X.

Lasiorhinus is on the right track. Tackle the 'simpler' subjects first. By that, the subjects that are mostly declarative knowledge.... Air Law, Human Performance, etc. Those subjects will ask straight forward questions like 'what are the recency requirements for xyz' and 'which of the following is a symptom of hypoxia?' You either know the answer or you dont. There is usually no time pressure to complete those exams in the allocated time.

In Flight Planning you require both knowledge and ability and tactics. Anybody could pass ATPL Flight Planning and Nav first go, provided there was no time limit. However, ATPL Flight Planning has always been notorious because you had to know your stuff and be able to solve the problems in the time available.

For that reason, best to start off with those exams like Air Law that examine declarative knowledge, and get used to sitting CASA exams before putting yourself under time pressure.