View Full Version : VMC Map

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 00:33
Hi All,
I have been busy. (well occupied ) over my quite time with this little software i have written. (I must admit i stole the idea from the US NOAA weather service) In the US they have a government that cares about aviation and it's pilots and as such provides for free nice weather services. One that i found is a map that displays the USA indicating what areas are VMC/IMC in pretty colours. I thought this was an excellent service and as such written an Australian Version.

As i dont know the logic they used i had to make up my own. I'ts based around 2500Ft from the field altitude So what it does is look in the TAF for every airport in Australia looks to see if there is cloud within 2500ft of the airfield altitude and then assigns a value as to how much cloud is there. This then translates into a different colored dot. It also up's the stakes if there are thunder storms or other such nasty events forcast at the airport

Im sure it is not 100% and im sure my logic needs a bit more input from more experienced pilots. That's what my post is for. Have a peek tell me what you think and let me know what you think should go into my logic. Please be kind.

http://vmctracker.com

Oh you can use the arrows and + - in the top right corner to zoom and pan. and you can turn on place names by clicking hybrid on the top.

Matt.

bushy
16th Jan 2008, 01:09
We need that sort of stuff more than we need ADS-B

Feather #3
16th Jan 2008, 01:12
Very smart piece of kit, but a better guide to the criteria [even if published separately] would be great. :ok:

Cheers ;)

alphacentauri
16th Jan 2008, 01:23
Mate, thats nice. Well done :ok:

I also agree with Feather #3's comments

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Jan 2008, 01:25
Grear idea!

However, while leaning on the safe side may be good, it does seem a little overly cautious at the moment.

The site is currently showing YBTL as Extreme IFR.

Current METAR is:

TTF METAR YBTL 160200Z 03007KT 9999 FEW020 SCT240 OVC300 FEW024TCU 30/23 Q1000
RMK RF00.0/000.2 DIST SH
INTER 0300/0500 3000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN015

Based on visual observation I would class the airspace immediately around YBTL at the moment (12:22 local time) as VMC or Marginal VMC at worst.

Dr :8

PS: Is the 2500' ceiling too cautious?

185skywagon
16th Jan 2008, 01:42
good idea but,
[METAR SPECI YBCV 160230Z 13008KT 1000 RAIN BKN007 BKN040 OVC130 23/22 Q1007
RMK RF02.8/022.4

TAF TAF YBCV 160022Z 160214 11012KT 9999 LIGHT RAIN BKN016 BKN030 FM08
09010KT 9999 LIGHT DRIZZLE BKN010 BKN030 TEMPO 0214 3000 RAIN BKN010
BKN030 RMK T 24 25 24 23 Q 1007 1005 1006 1008

Your map is currently showing VMC here at YBCV. It ain't, I promise you.

Good idea though.

gidday Feather#3

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 01:44
ForkTailedDrKiller

Yes i have it purposely set a little harsh at the moment just to keep on the safe side. Any mention of thunder storms or turbulence and it shows extreme. Although i have METARS in my working database i am not looking at that data as yet just the TAF.

I am working on the next version now that will have better explanations and will also display the taf/metar if you click on an airport. I hope also to give some reason when you click on the airport for it's decision as well as a Plain English version of the TAF/METAR. It's more of a proof of concept at the moment.

The TAF if have for YBTL is in my database as

TAF YBTL 152237Z 160024 04012KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN FEW012SCT025 INTER 0212 3000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN015 TEMPO 1221 2000 HEAVYSHOWERS OF RAIN THUNDERSTORMS WITH RAIN BKN010 FEW020CB INTER 21243000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN015 RMK T 28 30 29 28 Q 1000 1001 1000 1001

with an aerodrome altitude of 18ft. One of my rule states that broken cloud and rain within 1500ft of the aerodrome altitude gives extreme IFR. Perhaps this should be more like IFR or even marginal VMC. There are some airports that i would be happy to go into VMC with broken cloud at 1500 but others i would never do. You need to know more about what the terrain is like around the airport and i dont have that data (now if i had a australian terrain database) I often look at the display and say it's to harsh. (especially INTER periods with thunderstorms that also get extreme)

Still Thinking
Matt.

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 01:47
185skywagon.
Yes i dont seem to have YBCV in my database for some reason. Thanks for the feedback i will fix it up. On the other hand this is discovered a more serious bug. If i have no information dont say vmc say nothing.

Matt.

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Jan 2008, 01:52
Matt - OK, I should have picked up the TAF rather than the METAR.

The CBs are a problem in this part of the world. They forcast them all the time but they rarely turn up.

There are no CBs within 100 nm of YBTL at the moment as far as I can tell. That's not to say that one won't turn up tonight - but I think it unlikely.

A VFR pilot would have no trouble getting in and out of YBTL at the moment, except perhaps from the west, which can be a problem - and I can't see too far that way from my present position.

I wonder if the actual weather is a better basis to work on than the forcast weather - given how unreliable the forcasts are.

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 02:04
FTD.
I agree. My next fix is to use the METAR if we have that. I have noticed as you guys go into the monsoon red dots every day up in the top end. Unfortunately lots of airports dont have metars and if they do many do not mention cloud.

I will see if i can get the METAR part working today some time if i get a break between real work (that is work that makes me money/food/aircraft repayments) which i think will be much better for the top end.

I have also considered using the area forecast for airports that dont have a TAF but this may put accuracy out even more. If it is not reliable then people will get a bad feeling about it and not use it if that happens the whole thing will be a bit of a waste. I am grateful for the feedback it will make a much better site.

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 02:36
For the people that are interested here is a version that runs of the METAR

http://staff.spectrum.com.au/air/vmc.php/metar

Note that if there is no cloud on the METAR for that airport it will say VMC at the moment which is oviously wrong. But you get the idea.

Lodown
16th Jan 2008, 02:47
Matt, you've put some work into your chart. I flew VFR in the USA for a number of years. Looked at that VFR chart once and never looked at it again. The US chart served a purpose for some, but for me it provided a large overview, but nothing more, and actually a lot, lot less information than a regular surface chart. I wanted to know what to expect rather than what the present weather was at the time. So, for me, I thought the US chart was a waste of NOAA resources, but figured it was compiled for some organization other than pilots and was provided to pilots as an offshoot.

Jabawocky
16th Jan 2008, 02:48
Man that would have been interesting to see yesterday around the Great divide in SEQ:eek:

We eventually found a VMV path through from Clifton to Gatton, bit like PNG flying according to one of the group who did a lot of it.....and it was down to the minimums at times!

Keep working on that Matt.:ok:

DickyPearse
16th Jan 2008, 02:56
Matt-YSBK

Nice work - perhaps you could include the ctitical locations that appear in the Area briefings, ie. Mt Vic, Bowral etc in area 20,21. It is typically cloud base away from the destinations that limit VFR ops

IanAv
16th Jan 2008, 03:08
Matt,

You might be able to get some ideas from how PocketFMS does this stuff (free 30 day trial www.pocketfms.com (http://www.pocketfms.com)).

It uses METAR for 2 hours after issue and then TAF until the end of the validity period. Has time change buttons so you can move forward and back in time to see the effect of any FM's in the forecast. Color coding of the circles around airports are chosen by the user to reflect their personal minima based on combinations of cloud ceiling and vis.

Ian

Lasiorhinus
16th Jan 2008, 04:20
The idea is BRILLIANT!

The current implementation does seem overcautious, apparently its "IFR" conditions right here, right now, when its actually sky clear.

Perhaps this is a limitation of the TAF rather than your program?

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Jan 2008, 04:30
"VMV path"

What's that Jaba?

Down the Heifer Creek Road at 50'?

Jabawocky
16th Jan 2008, 06:16
VMV
Visual Meteoroligical Vegetation:}

Actually its a keyboard problem, some fool keeps moving the keys around on me:rolleyes:

I reckon you know the path through the range, and it was 500 and even 1000' AGL at times, but just straight out of the Chimbu Chuckles Book of mountain flying! Speed control, eyes in the back of the head, and good navigation skills. OK and a lot of local knowlege too!:ok:

J

First_Principal
16th Jan 2008, 08:02
Matt, great idea, don't forget NZ when you get it finalised!

A comment though on colour. Some of us are a little colour-blind (obviously not enough to affect our flying!) and your colour dots are a little remniscent of those damned Ishihara number books... perhaps a small symbol included in the dot and/or a more definate colour would be useful? Something such as a small tick/dash/cross/question/screech or similar within the colour dot?

Other than that it's good to see something like this, an enhancement could be to decode the weather into plain english, with local time, after clicking on an aerodrome :E

Just returned from another forum, funny how great minds think alike - you may be interested in:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308338

for a different but similar approach :)

Cheers, FP.

Matt-YSBK
16th Jan 2008, 08:27
FP I will look at getting NZ data. You dont know where i can find the NZ TAF and METAR data on a web site do you ?

Sorry about the colours im not real artistic. I will try to make them a little better in the next version. If you switch to HYBRID mode in the top right hand corner it gives you a fair bit more contrast which makes it look a lot better.

Matt.

First_Principal
16th Jan 2008, 08:42
Hi Matt, just finished adding to my last post & see you've replied - thanks for the info, I'll have a look.

Re the NZ info, try:

http://www.ifis.airways.co.nz/

You'd need to have a username & run a login script etc but it should be reasonably straight-forward. Login to 'area preflight briefing' & enter the required areas for met info. Also there's:

http://www.airservices.gov.au/brief/aismet.asp

and follow the obvious links.

Cheers, FP.

Matt-YSBK
5th Feb 2008, 06:28
Hi All,
Next Version of the vmc map for Australia has been released. You can find it at http://staff.spectrum.com.au/air or just use the old link - There is a re-direct. You will now find A tool bar on the left hand side that will let you zoom into a region. As well as the ability to type an airport name or ICAO designation into the top and see the TAF/METAR for the airport.

Enjoy.
Matt.

RENURPP
5th Feb 2008, 07:13
Matt I like the idea and along with others find it overly cautious.

Without applying too much grey matter at this stage, i think that indicating extreme IFR due to TS is not practicle.

Maybe some thing like use the body of the TAF for your colour coding and add a symbol that represents TS beside it, maybe with a number inside the TS symbol indicating the probability of TS. e.g if the main part of the TAF/METAR was braken at 2500' then it is VMC. If there was a inter/tempo for TS then a symbol like a TS with 30 or 60 inside that symbol???

In the northern part of Australia TS are forecaste almost every day which means the website would conitually indicate extreme IFR. The reality is, there are only a handful of days that are not VFR.

Matt-YSBK
5th Feb 2008, 07:35
RENUPP:
Yes. I am starting to go with the consensis and agree that TS are not grounds
for IFR. I am thinking the same thing about fog. I have altered the website as such.

I have left Snow and Hail for now.

I will think about how to add your other on the map. I am trying not to make it to busy but i have plans to let you click on an airport for the taf so you dont have to type it in at the top.

Matt.

TLAW
5th Feb 2008, 12:35
Matt - bloody brilliant! Have you approached the BOM or Air Services with it? I'm sure with some funding the kinks could be ironed out etc.:ok:

Matt-YSBK
7th Feb 2008, 03:29
Thunder Storm prediction no longer makes it Extreme IFR. Now if you want to see Thunder storm info click on the Predicted Thunderstorms on the left hand side navigation panel and the thunderstorms will be shown in a gray shadow.

Things left to do include
New Zealand.
Adding Pressure points (Like Mt Victoria)

EC120
7th Feb 2008, 03:45
Great idea keep working on it, any of these type of tools for new pilots can only make there already difficult job easier.

Change the colours though as they to hard to see.

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Feb 2008, 03:58
What's the deal? My computer reports errors and locks up whenever I try to access the site?

Matt-YSBK
7th Feb 2008, 04:10
ForkTailedDrKiller:
Nothing you access from a web browser should do that. Sounds like your javascript does not work for whatever reason. Are you sure you have the latest Microsoft Updates Under Tools Windows Updates. (you must have a legal copy of windows to do this) If not sounds like your pc needs some TLC.

I have tested on MAC/Windows IE6 and Firefox with no problems like that.

Matt-YSBK
17th Feb 2008, 11:04
Hi All,
Two New Featuers. One House keeping the other Nice.

a) The URL has permantly changed to a new home http://vmctracker.com
b) You can now zoom directly to your airport of choice showing a nice sat picture of that airport

At the top bar in the "Forcast For Box" type the airport of your choice. ICAO codes or airport names (or part there of ) are excepted. eg coffs (as i can never rember the new code for coffs) then submit (or just hit enter)

Then when the met window pops up (you need popups turned on for my site) for that airport showing coffs harbour then click the line at the top that says "Zoom to airport" A nice map of your airport will popup. :)

New Zealand
and other weather stations comming soon.

Enjoy for now
Matt.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Feb 2008, 11:53
Opening http://vmctracker.com (http://vmctracker.com/) still locks my computer up - tends to limit its usefulness to me!

Matt-YSBK
17th Feb 2008, 12:42
I have sent you a PM FT will see if we can work it out. Anyone else seen a computer lockup from the site?

Matt.

wesky
17th Feb 2008, 19:16
She's working fine for me, Matt. Thanks for the great tool!!

FTD - are you running IE7?? If so, this would be the problem. To fix it, remove IE7.

Allan L
17th Feb 2008, 22:33
IE7 works OK for me.

Atlas Shrugged
17th Feb 2008, 23:18
Doesn't work at all for me. All I get in IE7 is a blank page :confused:

Kenneth
17th Feb 2008, 23:23
I get a blank page also in IE7 and Firefox???:confused:

Matt-YSBK
18th Feb 2008, 00:09
My Fault had it down for 30 minutes while i was working on it (should have put up an under construction sorry)

up again now.

Atlas Shrugged
18th Feb 2008, 01:10
Works now!

Hopefully something constructive; my personal preference would be to have the information displayed in the main frame rather than in separate popup windows. The back/forward browser buttons can be used for swapping around the screens.

Matt-YSBK
18th Feb 2008, 01:27
Yep it was constructive. I have now done some tweeks to make all the pages w3 complaint as verified by w3.org All the pages should now work on all browsers and any computer lockups should be the fault of the computers and not the page.

The Page now carries the http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401-blue tick.

airmuster
18th Feb 2008, 02:07
Fantastic work Matt.

Can I ask how long did this take you to develop........ because if it wasn't that long, WTF do we pay airservices for???

Cheers

Matt-YSBK
18th Feb 2008, 02:12
About 30 hours to get to this stage.

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Feb 2008, 03:39
To fix it, remove IE7.

Now why would I want to go and do that?

Matt-YSBK
19th Feb 2008, 06:56
FP: and Other People asking about New Zealand.

I am not having a lot of luck so far with getting the live data. NZ Metservice dont offer a public web site to get data. I sent of an email but apparently they are only interested in giving me the data if I pay for it. I have asked them the cost but im guessing its not going to be cheap. So NZ people may be out of luck. I have added NZAA NZCH NZWN which is all i could find for free on the internet.

If anyone knows of anywhere where i can get the data would love to add NZ but otherwise looks like Australia Only at this stage.

I have put all the NZ airports in the database however so the zoom to airport function still works if you want to get an idea of what the an airport looks like before you get there.

Matt.

First_Principal
19th Feb 2008, 09:02
Hey Matt, thanks for taking the time to do that :D

Pity abt Metservice, I'm not sure how they're funded but guess that will have some impact on their decision. I'm not sure if Airways could come to the party somehow via their site (www.ifis.airways.co.nz) but if you've not tried already that may be worth a crack.

There are a number of Internet-accessible private weather stations that I make use of from time to time that could, at some stage, be worth including I guess. They tend to be a fairly standard device (LaCrosse units mostly) so parsing the data shouldn't be too difficult. Most of them are not located precisely on fields but they're often close, or are suitably placed enroute somewhere so quite useful. I imagine a similar group of people do the same thing in Oz?

Rgds, FP.

Matt-YSBK
19th Feb 2008, 09:09
www.ifis.airways.co.nz does not seem to be accessible from Australia. At least not from any of the links i have tried. Perhaps they only let you access it from nz

WannaBeBiggles
19th Feb 2008, 09:43
Matt, a real nice app!

If you want some help porting it to a real language like .NET, send me a message :ok:

I can't access http://www.ifis.airways.co.nz/ either, however if any of our NZ compatriets would care to send us a proxy server to use, I'm sure that won't be an issue any more ;)

Matt-YSBK
20th Feb 2008, 03:19
WBB: I thought all you .NET people had converted over to Ruby. Good to see theres one left ;)

PAF: Yes i did use regex's to get the bit's i needed out of the TAF/METAR (the cloud and it's level is what i am interested in) That Weather.aero link looks excellent. I would much rather get my data in XML (even if i do hate soap) I think im going to go of and re-write my data grabber program :) .

Matt.

Matt-YSBK
20th Feb 2008, 03:45
FP:
Bad News on the New Zealand Stakes im afraid .

Got this message back from the powers that be.

Hi Matt

Unfortunately in NZ the supply of Aviation Met information is governed
by a user pays arrangement and we do not make information available to
the public for use on personal websites for distribution to NZ aviation.

We supply the information direct to airline/aircraft operators under
strict commercial arrangements.

----
so i offered to pay and i got.

Hi Matt

Under NZ CAA regulations the supply of Met information for aviation in
NZ has to be obtained from a fully certified CAA CAR Part 174 supplier.

MetService does not contract 3rd parties for the supply of Met
information to the aviation sector in NZ apart from Airways Corporation
as part of their
AIS requirements to provide a briefing service to Aircraft.

Aircraft operators access MET data direct from MetService.

So the short answer is that we will not be able to supply the
information to you under a commercial arrangement.

----
Sounds like nice guy but his hands seem tied by the fact that they own the data and tightly control it to make back every sent they can. Oh Well that being the case and the fact that i can find any more then the international airport TAF's anywhere else im going to have to can the idea of adding NZ.

Sorry Fokes.

WannaBeBiggles
20th Feb 2008, 05:55
I thought all you .NET people had converted over to Ruby. Good to see theres one left ;)

Some people actually still develop REAL applications for REAL enterprises :}

P.S > If you wanted to switch to a real language you'd be able to access a webservice using a proper object oriented approach instead of hacking at it with PEAR and XPath :p

Matt-YSBK
20th Feb 2008, 06:23
This probably should be a separate post but. I have just finished a mobile version of VMC Tracker. It's not as nice as the google map's enabled big brother but fits on a mobile screen well and has been tested from Windows mobile and Symbian. It is all text very low fuss (so it will work on GPRS or HSDPA)

Check it out from your mobile Open up your web browser on your new type mobile and go to http://m.vmctracker.com

Matt.

WannaBeBiggles
20th Feb 2008, 06:31
Lookin good mate, though you might want to check the spelling for "suggested" ;-)

First_Principal
20th Feb 2008, 10:15
Sigh, well Matt thanks for pursuing that query, there are times when I feel I must apologise for this place (ok, ok, I know - no wisecracks thanx!)....

The proxy server idea has some merit, or perhaps a script sitting somewhere that would relay the info, but if they're going to have a fit about it all then it's probably just too hard :sad:. I can see some point with respect to the integrity of data supply specifically for aviation purposes (I guess they could argue that you might 'massage' the data and end up providing incorrect info), and of course it costs money so there is a commercial aspect. However on the other hand I think it has the potential so improve the lot of the weekend aviator which has to be positive (safety-wise if nothing else) so would have thought there was a way forward.

Anyway I'll keep an eye on progress, I think it's a great project!

Cheers, FP.

Matt-YSBK
20th Feb 2008, 11:25
FP: Yea it makes sense to have NZ data but looks like if I were to nick it via some other means (a php script running on an NZ box say) they would perhaps just go after me and i dont want that.

All should remember though the site does not take the place of the Official Forecast. As PIC you should have the offical forcast onboard..

WannaBeBiggles
20th Feb 2008, 19:37
Just a quick idea, how about a small addition on alternate/holding due WX, or at least run a check whether there is more than 4/8th's of cloud (total) below 1500?

Matt-YSBK
20th Feb 2008, 22:05
WBB: >4/8'ths <2500 of the aerodrome altitude would allready make it Marginal VMC on vmctracker.

jumpuFOKKERjump
21st Feb 2008, 04:08
An interesting widget Matt. I'm not sure it is detecting changes in TAF. YBLT is shown as IFR at the moment (0500-ish) but the TAF has been nice since 0100.BALLARAT (YBLT)
TAF AMD YBLT 210004Z 210014
13017G27KT 9999 BKN012
FM01 15015KT 9999 SCT030
RMK
T 16 21 23 20 Q 1013 1010 1008 1008

METAR YBLT 210500Z AUTO 14016KT 9999NDV // NCD 22/13 Q1010
RMK RF00.0/000.0

PS. Why do the met drones put 'RMK' in every TAF, but never put in any remarks. 100 millitrees of paper would be saved every Killicam if they desist.

Matt-YSBK
21st Feb 2008, 04:35
Currently The Data is updated at 00:10 06:10 12:10 18:10 AEST. I would not mind updateing it more often but i need to check with my data source first to make sure that's ok. Hourly is the aim.

Matt.

Miraz
21st Feb 2008, 04:48
Which datasource are you using?

Matt-YSBK
26th Feb 2008, 04:24
Updates to VMC Tracker Version 1.2.4
Now Supports ATIS information and takes that over metar and taf in priority.
Also takes into account Expect ILS approach as being a bad sine for VMC.

Display ATIS information on http://m.vmctracker.com for mobiles.

Data update now every 3 hours for http://vmctracker.com and http://m.vmctracker.com

Soon to be implemented a graphical description of the field high and cloud heights and types around the field. (Picture that looks like the ones from the VMC flight guide)

Matt.

Matt-YSBK
26th Feb 2008, 07:54
Oh and one more new function i forgot on 1.2.4 down the bottom of the map screen now you can enter in from and to airport (icao code) to plot one airport to the other. It will display the track on the map so you can see all the airports on the way. (in a straight line)

Matt.

Matt-YSBK
27th Feb 2008, 05:14
New Function * Flight Planing *
You can now enter the icao airport code for two airports on any map screen and it will plot a line between the two airports also showing the distance between the two. Next Step will be to add bearing once that is done the plan is to convert VMC tracker into a fully fledged flight planer to compare with the likes of Champagne or Command Flight Planer. Except it will be on the web and accessible from anywhere with an internet connection.

First things to be implemented.
Flight Plan & Plotting
Printing of Flight Plans
Saving of Flight Plans.

First_Principal
27th Feb 2008, 09:26
Matt, you may want to check out www.flycalc.co.nz for an example of an excellent on-line flight planner :ok: There may be something there that could help with your construction...

Cheers, FP.

boofhead
27th Feb 2008, 15:54
The colours you use for the map are too strong and overpower the station indicators. Tone it down a little and allow the weather information to stand out more. Look at this one from DUATS for an example of an easy to read presentation:
http://www.duats.com/graphics/al_mvr.html

RandyBandit
4th Mar 2008, 05:36
Matt

That mobile phone version is brilliant! Most of the airfields I fly out of have coverage, so its great for a last minute check of latest TAF and METAR at your destination before you jump in the aircraft. I've bookmarked it, Thanks!

RB

Matt-YSBK
4th Mar 2008, 05:44
RandyBandit:
Thanks. I have found it works just fine from my Nextg mobile in flight. I have one of those $20 suction cup window antennas and it works fine in flight up to about 8000 all the way up the coast from Sydney to Maroochy. There were was about 10 minute total where there was no coverage in flight.

I have been thinking of a version where you can put your destination metar in before flight and receive a sms with the latest metar at your estimated Top of decent time.