PDA

View Full Version : Processor constantly running at 70%!

CEJM
15th Jan 2008, 22:32
Dear All,

A friend om mine has the above mentioned problem with his Dell Inspiron 1100. The processor constantly runs at 70% even when no applications are launched. This of course slows down the computer to a point were it takes minutes to launch an application.

From the start Norton ani-virus has been installed and no virus can be detected on the computer.

6 months age he removed everything from his computer and started from scratch, however the problem is back again.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Another question: How can you see if the computer has a partition with all the software installed?. Made by the factory so you can't touch it.

If this partition is on the Hard drive when you format the hard drive does this remove this partition or does it stay were it is?

We can't find any were how to make a reboot CD, is this necessary or is everything in the partition made by the factory?

Thanks in advance, CEJM

Selfloading
16th Jan 2008, 07:43
Ctrl+Alt+Delete brings up "Windows task manager" have a look under the cpu column to see what's using all that processor power.

CEJM
16th Jan 2008, 20:11
Selfloading,

Thanks for your reply.

Having done some trouble shooting via the phone today we came up with the following.

With the 'Windows Task Manager' up it shows CPU usage to be between 12-28% with no programs running.

When opening another program (skype) CPU usage jumps up to 100% and stays there.

In the task manager under 'processes' the only 'heavy' users are:
APPSVC32.EXE with 0-13%
System idle process 85%
Everything else is between 0 and 1%.

However just came across this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305922

Could an increase in RAM memory solve the problem as there are now two banks of 256Mb installed. The max the computer can handle is 1024mb in 2 x 512Mb.

Thanks again, CEJM :ok:

Selfloading
16th Jan 2008, 20:41
Hi, I have to start by saying I'm no computer expert, I was hoping some geek might chip in, but that said it seems Skype is the problem, system idle process is actually the amount processor power not being used at that time so showing 85% is quite good, don't think adding more ram would help with this problem, perhaps reinstalling Skype might be you next move, also typing "skype high cpu usage" into google comes up with quite a few hits.

Good luck :ok:

Parapunter
16th Jan 2008, 21:00
Skype is free & memory has to be paid for. I'd uninstall skype, clean the machine, defrag, ccleaner etc. then see how it runs. If you're still unhappy, then stick more memory in. Memory will almost always boost performance, but first things first. I wouldn't put a v8 in a mini because it's struggling to tow a caravan...

The Flying Pram
16th Jan 2008, 21:24
Lots of programmes start when you turn the machine on, and continue running even if you rarely use them. You could run "msconfig", chose "Selective Startup", and disable the ones you don't often use in the Startup tab. They will still work, it just might take a bit longer when you launch them.

CEJM
16th Jan 2008, 22:30
Thanks guys,

We will give it a go.

The Skype thing was just an example, the CPU usage goes up to 100% no matter which program you open.

CEJM

Parapunter
16th Jan 2008, 23:03
Appsvc is all over google like a cheap coat. It's Norton : http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/0/5db0367fc8ebf3a1652572050044d4b7?OpenDocument

also: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=730140

Keef
17th Jan 2008, 00:21
When the CPU usage is running at 100%, that's the time to see which are the "CPU hogs" - which the task manager will tell you.

My machine ticks over with "System Idle Process" ticking nicely between 95% and 98%. However, to get there (from 65%-ish) I've had to disable one or two greedies, especially iTunes - which is only needed when there's an iPod actually plugged in. MSCONFIG is a very useful utility!

One "fix" I found recently, and which may apply in your case, is that if you're running Firefox v2, it needs to be shut down fairly often. I'm assured there isn't a memory leak in it, but on my machine it will increase memory used over a period of hours, until it's up around 400MB. The PC runs slower and slower at the same time. Once you shut it down (and it needs a minute or two to "unload"), it will free up all that memory and things go faster again - for a while.

I'm now using Firefox 3 Beta: that's not gone above about 80MB regardless of how long it's been running. There are drawbacks to FF3 at the moment (inevitable with Beta software), but I can live with that! Hopefully, they won't reintroduce a memory leak before v3 goes final.

Saab Dastard
17th Jan 2008, 11:48
Keef,

Thanks for your last post on FF2 - confirms some suspicions I have had but haven't had the time to investigate.

SD

frostbite
17th Jan 2008, 11:50
I have been using FreeRAM XP Pro for a number of years. It sits on the taskbar displaying free RAM and will automatically or manually attempt to release available memory.

You can get more info at http://www.yourwaresolutions.com

(it's a freebie)

CEJM
18th Jan 2008, 01:13
Thanks all for your help :ok:.

I have passed on the information as i go on a trip for a few days. When i get back i will post any results.

CEJM

CEJM
27th Jan 2008, 13:30
Thanks guys' for all your help. Problem has been solved.

Removed everything from said laptop and reinstalled all programs. CPU usage is now back to 4% when idle. And the system idle process now has 95% so its all back to normal.

Thanks again.

CEJM :ok: