PDA

View Full Version : Ride reports

pax britanica
15th Jan 2008, 22:30
Its January and never the month to fly the Atalantic if turbulnce worries you.

iI dont mind turbulence but if its really prolonged I can geta bit of motion sickness and obviously a comfortable smooth flight is nicer than bouncing around the jetstream heading east for 6-7 hour strapped in most of the way. Ive done the trip many times in 74s 777s 767s 1011s and DC10s but next week face the propsect of doing it on a 757 and without the luxury of being well towards the front either.

Now I love the 75 -it looks great and is fun to fly on with tis great take off performance but it is soooooo long and thin and I ve had a few uncomfortable trips around Europeand even more so the US eastern Seaboard sitting behind the wing .And the further behind the wing the rougher it gets.
Has any one here had experience of riding the winter jetstream on a 757 and how does it compare to its bigger wide body brothers-my sense is it wd be pretty darn rough for 6-7 hours at the back of the plane and some Dramamine might be a good idea? Am I right

PB

BRUpax
16th Jan 2008, 08:43
I often found flying in the Jetstream gave a sort of gentle fairground ride but not any real turbulence (except maybe on entry). Perhaps I've just been lucky. What can make life unpleasant is flying through or just above high (cloud) tops. I believe that turbulence in a B757 will feel more pronounced than on the larger heavy jets, but probably no worse than say a B767.

Donkey497
16th Jan 2008, 20:27
Have done a fair few transatlantic 757 flights and to be honest, the turbulence hasn't been too bad. The last trip being out the first Tuesday of last month and arriving back the following Wednesday. (When all of the storms were working their way across the US & out into the Atlantic). It was a bit bouncy a couple of times on the way out, but nothing too bad. A bit worse for a couple of times on the overnight way back for about fifteen minutes in total, but hardly intolerable. Hardly an excuse for the cabin crew to miss out half the cabin for dinner service and drinks, but they still managed to.

Thinking back, the worst I've had on transatlantic was actually on a 767 when we were well over the continental US en-route to ATL. No warning whatsoever and it felt like a freight train had run into the side of the plane and we were bounced about for about five minutes.

In short, I wouldn't worry about the effects of turbulence in a 757 any more than I would in a 767, a 1011 or a 74. I would however recommend that you keep your belt fastened, but loose all the time you are in your seat, just in case - its only common sense.

16th Jan 2008, 21:44
In October i was a pax on a flight from Newark to LGW and i was on a 757 and i think for about almost all of the flight we where in turbulence until we got to Ireland that was about 5hrs of being buffeted round but i think the worst part of the flight was there was no personal in-flight entertainment:sad: just a little screen in the distance to watch.:bored:

The only problem with the 757 for long flights is that with the single aile if you want to stretch your legs theres not much space to do it especially if everyone else is doing the same thing :}