PDA

View Full Version : Initial Class 1 Medical on Tuesday!!!

MATT83
15th Jan 2008, 21:48
Hi,

I have got my Initial class 1 medical on Tuesday and im starting to get a bit nervous.

I kind of know what to expect but just wandering if there is anything i can do to prepare for it.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

gingernut
16th Jan 2008, 08:34
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307459

:)

good luck.

chris-squire
16th Jan 2008, 12:08
Matt - Try not be too nervous as this can affect your results. I was nervous with mine so know what it's like but try to relax as much as possible and get a good nights sleep before. They're honestly really nice anf very helpful up there and when I did mine (August 07) there was a very nice young lady sat on the Aeromedical reception!!! That'll take your mind off what's ahead! :E

The run of events for mine was...

- Report to CAA reception in the big horrible grey building that looks like a breeze block.

- Get taken through to Aeromedical dept to sign in and fill out a couple of forms.

- Sit in waiting room and see how many ways you can cross your legs until you are called for by the physician.

- Get taken for urine test, weight, height, finger prick blood test etc.

- Wait and flick through Flyers World whilst the tests are performed on your specimens.

- Get taken through to a sound booth to do your hearing test.

- Get taken into another room for resting ECG and Spirometry exam.

-Sit back in waiting room and read Horse and Hound from the summer of 1989 whilst you wait for optician.

- Eye exam

- More waiting and entertainment provided from Readers Digest 1994.

- Final consultation to get prodded by a consultant AME and to go through your results form the tests.

- Issue Class 1 Certificate.

- Go home and get smashed to celebrate!!!

Hope this helps and don't worry fella. You'll be fine but if you need any other info feel free to PM me.

Chris :ok:

MATT83
22nd Jan 2008, 19:27
Hi,

Thanks for your help!!!

I passed! :)

lots of waiting round and lots of reading all the old magazines!!

Everyone was really nice and helpful and made you feel really relaxed.

Thanks again.

:)

chris-squire
22nd Jan 2008, 21:55
Congrats Matt. Great feeling aint it!

Was the lovely blonde young lady on reception @ Aeromedical? :E

MATT83
25th Jan 2008, 18:19
HI,

Yea it is a great feeling!! :)

Didnt see any lovely blonde on reception though.

Good luck to anyone else going for their medical!

thanks

Matt

dunelmitepilot
26th Jan 2008, 10:27
Hi Matt, nice work on passing the class 1,

Can you remember what you had to do during the hearing test. This is the only part of the whole thing that I do not seem to know about!

Thanks,

Adam.

MATT83
28th Jan 2008, 13:11
Hi,

The hearing test is ok, try and relax and if you think you have heard a sound, you probably did so push the button!

They put you in a small sound proof room with some headphones and and button to push when you hear a sound.

The nice lady will then start the sounds playing. They are very very quiet so relax and listen carefully.

again, if you think you heard a sound then you probably did so push the button. You wont be marked down for it.

Good luck and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Matt

dunelmitepilot
29th Jan 2008, 11:17
Matt, thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated. It may be a while before I have to undertake this class 1 medical as I'm in my penultimate year at university, and will hopefully be applying to CTC in the Summer. I am just trying to get a really clear picture of what I can expect now, so it comes as no surprise to me on the day (if I make it through!)

Thanks for your offer of answering anything else for me; if any other queries arise I will let you know!

Thanks again!

Adam.

chris-squire
29th Jan 2008, 12:26
dunepilot - Search the forum, there's loads about what to expects etc. I did a long post somewhere in the Medical and Health section about my day trip to the good old breeze block that is the CAA building. Have a look and good luck.

CS :ok:

9Haviator
1st Feb 2008, 20:58
During my class 2 medical for my PPL I was seeing the Doctor pressing the button from the mirror behind him :}. So each time he pressed I pressed and got a 100% hahaha..

My 2 cents!

Bowie!