PDA

View Full Version : Training In Sydney

Delta Oscar Charlie
15th Jan 2008, 19:07
Hi folks,

Looking for info on flight schools in sydney region.. I'm planning on moving to Oz later this year and hope to get my frozen ATPL while there. I've checked out a few online but would like to see what you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance

boardpig
16th Jan 2008, 01:29
Hello,

I've done my fair share of training in the Sydney area and I guess the main place to go is Bankstown. This is where you will find the majority of the training organisations and there are a fair few to choose from. I won't name names but although Bankstown is very busy (lots of movements), I found you tend to get lumped in with "everyone else" and eventually (especially in recent times) I've felt its has become very impersonal and has a "factory conveyor belt" feel to it. (the ATPL course is an excpetion here). You might not care about this and therefore this is the place to go, on site accomodation for students, cafe's, etc etc all very useful.
I eventually ended up going to Camden to finish my CPL and can't speak highly enough of it. Again it would be unfair to name names but there is at least one "very" (IMHO) good school down there and it wont take you long to work out who they are.
The atmosphere is VERY different to that of Bankstown, most of the instructors are career (read old and grumpy (jim)) and they actually reach you how to fly, rather than do circuts all day. (try landing on a dirt strip on the side of a mountain with a bend in the middle 500m long!!). There is a fair emphasis on difficult and unusual strips and each part of your flying abilities are placed under the microcope. Camden also has a tower at weekends, vfr reporting points etc so you also get the ATC experience as well.
Most of the aircraft are between 1 and 3 years old, some have glass cockpits (g1000) all were very well looked after.
On the down side, it is a bit hard to get to if you don't have transport and this may be a deciding factor.
I'm sure there are many other fine schools around (hoxton park etc). This is just my experience.
I'd been flying from Bankstown for years until I moved, then I wondered why itd taken me so long!!

Best of luck with your flying!!

Delta Oscar Charlie
16th Jan 2008, 19:25
Thanks v much board pig.... I had a look at most of the schools you are talking about. I'll name them as I don't see any harm in that. :}One that caught my attention was redbaron, have you any info on them? I also checked out whitworth, they seem professional. Basair looks good but a little like a factory, would that be a fair assessment? Scohfield looks good also.

What about type ratings, wheres the best place to gain them?

kookabat
16th Jan 2008, 23:29
(jim)

That kinda narrows it down :E

boardpig
16th Jan 2008, 23:43
"That kinda narrows it down "

More than you might think....;)

DOC check you PM's.

Jin75
13th Oct 2010, 15:15
Sorry to revive the thread.

Am looking to train in Camden for duration of 3 - 4 months. Any recommendation for budget accomodation? House stay is fine. Only require a bed, no meals and a study area.

Jack Ranga
14th Oct 2010, 04:15
The Belangalo State Forest has some fantastic accomodation options :ok: