PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS units

Monkeyseemonkeyfly
15th Jan 2008, 16:06
Sorry if this has been done before, I have searched but there doesn't seem to be anything recent.

I have been given a second hand Lowrance AirMap 500, which I have been using strapped to my leg as well as a map. However it did not come with the doohickey I need to update the jep. database.

So my question is should I buy the doohickey and keep going with what I have or should I use this chance to upgrade to something better/more modern.

Which if any handhelds do you use and how good are they (price, ease of use, features etc.)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Monkey

EN48
15th Jan 2008, 16:44
This is bit like the question, "Which is better, blonds or brunettes?" Well, it depends, and the eye of the beholder is key to the answer.

I use a Lowrance 500 as a backup in my airplane - to be used when everytrhing else has quit. Never had occasion to use it except in training for the unthinkable. Nice unit for this purpose - just enough to get you pointed to the airport. But, with the small screen and limited features, I probably wouldnt elect to use this GPS as my primary means of navigation. At the other end of the range, when flying sparsely equipped aircraft, I use a Garmin GPSMAP 496. Larger color screen, approaches (limited) NEXRAD weather, etc, etc. Works well as the principal means of navigation.

BTW, since I assume that you are using the Lowrance for VFR operations, you can likley get by with relatively infrequent updates, say every 6 or 12 months. WIth this in mind, Lowrance offers a one time update service for $35 U.S. where they send you a new card in exchange for the old one, and no doohickey is needed.

EN48

paco
15th Jan 2008, 22:19
I guess it depends on the cost of the doohickey compared to a new GPS. Lowrance are good units, and the 500 is OK - I think it is a $399 unit brand new. I have found the Lowrance screen redraw to be quicker than Garmin in many ways. Luckily, it's not too basic, but even a basic unit will do much of what you need.

If you can get the proper support, I would stick with it for a while, especially if, as mentioned, you can buy the Jep cards.

Phil

170'
16th Jan 2008, 11:56
Paco said...'A basic unit will do much of what you need'

Garmin 12

It's basic but tells you everything you need to know. This ones around 15 years old and bulletproof...Still available on ebay from time to time...A great piece of kit....

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/KA32A/GPS.jpg

Monkeyseemonkeyfly
16th Jan 2008, 14:53
Thanks for the responses.

I was really looking for something showing airspace so that rules out the non-aviation units.

Does anyone use Garmin 295/296 or Lowrance 600C?

Cheers

Monkey

paco
16th Jan 2008, 17:40
I'm using the 296 myself - what did you want to know? It's an excellent unit.

Phil

Monkeyseemonkeyfly
17th Jan 2008, 08:50
Hi Paco,

Do you get on with your 296, Is it easy to use?

I'm hiring at the moment so I can't mount my gps anywhere other than my leg, is this what you do or is the 296 too big for this? I tried fitting a yoke mount onto the cyclic but it was really bulky and just got in the way.

What are the benefits over a 196, I can't think it is twice as expensive just for the colour screen.

Cheers

Monkey