PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arrann interview info

REDARROW777
15th Jan 2008, 08:24
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has any info. on Aer Arann interviews for F/O and whats to be expected in the sim chk?

maxalphaboy
15th Jan 2008, 17:40
I would be very interested also.

When did you apply RA777??

MAB :ok:

TwoDeadDogs
16th Jan 2008, 14:00
hi there
the latest rumour floating around is that RE have taken a hammering, courtesty of Ryanair(2 or 3 millions of losses) and will close Cork and Dublin as a base and use them as outstations only and retreat to Galway, where they are taking up an "opportunity" to use two 146s to fly Galway-Malaga.It is alleged that the aircraft normally based in the People's Republic of Cork will be wet-leased and their ususal crews will be offered the "chance" to go with them or go on the dole.It is also alleged that non-pilots have been told, on the QT, to start dusting off their CVs......hold on to yer cash just yet!
regards
TDD

CarbHeatIn
16th Jan 2008, 15:45
Someone has put 1 and 1 together and arrived at 10.

DUB wont be closed anytime soon. PSO routes continue to perform strongly.

ORK down to 2 aircraft for JAN/FEB/MAR but back up to 3 aircraft in April. New French route (Brest) announced last week commencing in May.

1 aircraft going on wetlease to Finland for a few months. Crews (from all bases) given a chance to apply. No ultimatums given as you put it. I don't see why an aircraft going on wet lease is a bad thing if its making money for the company in the quieter winter period.

Waterford base continues to perform very strongly with rumours of an extra aircraft being based there for summer 08.

Galway and Isle of Man bases seem to be doing fine also although GWY-LBA was ended recently.

8 new ATR72-500s to join the fleet in the coming months to join the 2 that have already arrived

I'm sure Ryanair have made things tough on DUB-ORK, but Arann still offering 5 flights a day in each direction. This is the only route where they go head to head so not sure why trouble on 1 route would result in them closing 4 bases and firing the majority of the workforce.

I think someone is having you on. Think about it, why would they still be advertising for and hiring new crew?

Anyone thinking of applying, you could do a lot worse. The flying is good and the money is not bad.

Do a search for interview and sim check possibilities. There was a good bit on here in the past.

diver69
16th Jan 2008, 16:41
Not getting involved heavily in this but.............

There is a saying "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" TwoDeaddogs, I am afraid this may apply to you! No offence meant, but definately a case of 1 + 1 = 10!!! :=

CarbHeatIn is spot on in everything he says.

I would only add 3 comments to what he has posted:

1. RE made a profit (albeit small) last year, not a loss. This is fact, not speculation. Loss of 2/3 million is Boll..:mad:...x. Sorry.

2. The use of 2 146's on routes out of Galway/Waterford to destinations that are too far for an ATR, well thats called route expansion, not a retreat! It makes good sense to try and exploit routes that can't be stepped on by "other airlines" that use 73/800's. Even O'Leary cant land a 73/8 on a runway that is 4400' long! Franchising small jets allows RE to explore this market without the major risk of buying/leasing their own jets.

3. Cracking little company to work with, and the TR is repaid in full (tax free) after 5 years service, no bond, so reasonable pay from day 1.

No offence TDD, just trying to offer the view from where I hear it. :)

TwoDeadDogs
16th Jan 2008, 21:58
hi there
i'd be delighted to be proved wrong as I'd love to fly for them, but I got that gen from two of their pilots and an engineer, so someone is feeding them duff gen....
regards
TDD

diver69
17th Jan 2008, 09:12
TDD,

"two of their pilots" have just responded directly to your post!!:ok:

TwoDeadDogs
17th Jan 2008, 09:44
hi there
Like I said, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.The only reason they're taking on two 146s is to keep one servicable! That I know from personal experience.I'll check with my sources again...regarding point no 3 above about getting a rebate of the cost of the TR, is that for certain, as I've heard a lot of different opinions about that?;)
regards
TDD

diver69
17th Jan 2008, 10:50
TDD,

Point 3 is straight up. I can understand you hearing different versions, as it has only recently been finalised.
Under the old scheme RE repayed 50% the cost and allowed pilots to reclaim tax on the other half, however this system was not approved by Revenue Commissioners, so it fell flat. Now RE repays the full amount (25k Euro) after 5 years service.
People (like me unfortunately) that started early last year will be taxed on the TR Loyalty Bonus rebate, unless we put it into our PRSA (like a pension) fund.
For new joiners however a new arrangement means the the full amount will be repaid tax free.
This is the situation as applies at the moment,I have not heard of any plans to change it (I think its designed to tempt experienced F/O's to stay and move to LHS rather than chase jet jobs as RE always needs good Captains), but needless to say I would encourage any new joiners to clarify this situation with HR themselves.

Best of Luck:)

The 5Q
18th Jan 2008, 21:13
The only reason they're taking on two 146s is to keep one servicable!

NEX Aviation are the ones who decided on two 146's, nothing to do with REA. It abit hard to ensure serviceability when both aircraft will be flying at the same time. When the final timetable is released one aircraft leaves GWY at 06.30 and the second at 07.00.

G-TBIC proved reliable during operations from 2007 with the aircraft flying every scheduled flight. NEX are buying the second aircraft from CityJet so hopefully will be reliable as well.

5Q

Deputy Dog
21st Jan 2008, 13:51
Hi Guys/Gals,

I too have an interview/sim with Aer Arann but the replies so far have veered away from the original posting. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

DD

Zyox
21st Jan 2008, 23:11
Point 3 is straight up. I can understand you hearing different versions, as it has only recently been finalised.
Under the old scheme RE repayed 50% the cost and allowed pilots to reclaim tax on the other half, however this system was not approved by Revenue Commissioners, so it fell flat. Now RE repays the full amount (25k Euro) after 5 years service.

Diver69 can you confirm when this was instigated? I was talking to the HR lady in October/November who told me it was still waiting approval and they could still only give half after 5 years.
Hopefully 8 months off from applying to them and quite curious as I didn't think it would actually happen...

Thanks for clarifying the other points by the way, some proper legitimate and educated replies are a much needed thing in a few of the threads here :)

diver69
22nd Jan 2008, 04:17
Zyox,

The final approval came in late last year. It's definately "actually happened" :ok:.

In terms of general advice for interview/sim check, I would only say that its a very relaxed but professional process.

No tricks, for preparation stick to basics: Company info, The ATR, and some (very) BASIC ATPL theory. I honestly cant remember anything strange or horrific about the sim check either.

Good Luck.

Deputy Dog
28th Jan 2008, 16:02
Thanks for PM abovethebelow:ok:

Where and on what do Aer Arann do their sim check? makes sense to make all the silly mistakes in practice where it doesnt matter :eek::eek:

DD

V-Step
30th Jan 2008, 08:33
Hi Guys

I can also confirm point 3 above regarding the refund of the type rating. One further point though...RE will refund you the full amount, 25,000 Euro PLUS Interest, providing you stay flying with them for 5 years.

Captain Planet
30th Jan 2008, 18:41
Are you absolutely sure about the full 25 G's being returned after 5 years???

Must be a new thing in that case.

CP.

The Flying Cokeman
30th Jan 2008, 20:07
RE made a good deal with this as hardly anyone will stay that long (5 years) to get their bonding back ;)
Interesting flying with RE but people will leave after a while to get better paid jobs.
As far as I know the sim used to be on 737-200.

Captain Planet
30th Jan 2008, 23:23
Agree with FlyingCokeman.

I have only met a hand full of pilots that have been with RE for over 5 years.(A small hand full:))

Referring back to the 25 grand back after 5 years, I was nearly 100% percent sure that you only get half this back after 5 years? Anyone got any concrete evidence?

V-Step
31st Jan 2008, 08:31
Yep

25,000 back after 5 years service as a pilot AND all the interest accrued too.

V-Step