PDA

View Full Version : Nicaragua Anyone?

Cruiseclimb
14th Jan 2008, 15:05
I know there are a couple of smaller companies there, but can anyone offer any input on flying in Nicaragua? Pay, crew basing (Managua?), work rules.. etc. Thinking of retiring there.

Panama Jack
15th Jan 2008, 02:45
The overall aviation situation in Nicaragua, at the moment, sucks. Even compared to it's Central American neighbors, there is relatively little aviation activity, and Nicaraguan aviation law (or at least the interpretation of it by the authorities) leaves little opportunity to foreigners. Best case scenario, you are looking for an uphill battle wrought with many frustrations. Of course, Nicaragua is looking towards a major pilot shortage within 1-2 decades at the latest, however, much can happen between now and then.

The only really "serious" operation in Nicaragua is Grupo TACA (they have a Managua crew base). The two regional airlines leave a lot to be desired on many fronts, including pay, which probably tops-out at around $1200 USD per month for a senior Captain. Your best bet is to take advantage of the recently passed tourism-industry investment law, where you can be the entrepreneur, however, as as much as I hate to speak poorly about Nicaragua and would like to see investment in my country, your patience will be tested by the some of the Government authorities- not a nice feeling if it is your money on the line and there is spending but no income. This is unfortunately a historical and cultural problem in Latin America.

Various resources, as well as a discussion forum about Nicaraguan aviation and aviation in Nicaragua can be found here:

http://mx.groups.yahoo.com/group/hangarnica/