PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack Ellis

BULLDOG 248
14th Jan 2008, 03:10
Reading the YMMB thread reminded me of a "blast from the past"..... Captain Jack..... Is he still alive??
A man with a bit of a reputation!!! Operated alot of different aircraft types from Austers to Turbo Commander out of Geelong and near Tyabb. Had something to do with the old CAA Merlins and N.Z Convairs to name a few. Also had a son, I think, who was also involved in his company.
I'm sure there are some "older bolder pilots" out there with more info????

BD 248

Stationair8
14th Jan 2008, 03:12
Didn't write a book about the demise of Ansett?
Don,t forget the Dove operation out of Lovelybanks and the Twin Otter operation to King Island

Rocket Rob
14th Jan 2008, 04:45
Unfortunately Captain Jack Passed away just before Christmas, (died in his sleep) sure he did a lot in and for aviation.

BULLDOG 248
14th Jan 2008, 04:51
One of the guys here is going home to dust off his log-books to find the rego's of the C-310 and Queenair he flew for Jack down to Tassie on frieght runs. Also has newspaper clips for when one run out of fuel on King Is.

Stationair8
14th Jan 2008, 04:52
RIP Captain Jack Ellis, another aviation legends goes to the big hangar in the sky.

Did he fly for Ansett in the 1960's?

He also wanted to import a Carvair or DC-4 for freight in the 1970's, but was stopped by two airline act.

BULLDOG 248
14th Jan 2008, 05:02
Sorry to hear R.R.
I was sitting on my last post while we were doing a logbook search when you posted. Only met the man twice, but have flown with a few of his old students. All knew how to fly.

RIP Jack

Rocket Rob
14th Jan 2008, 05:10
I was one of his students and yes he knew how to make you do it right, a friend and a ex instructor may post as I have let him know this thread is running. He was very involved with Jack more than most. (sorry another would be in the same category but I would not like to mention names as they may not wish to post)

badpilots
14th Jan 2008, 06:02
Twin otter was the a/c that ran out of fuel on king is. Queenair in now sitting in a yard just outside of corio. Other a/c x-hired were DC3 VH-CAN and an Aircruising fokker.

BULLDOG 248
14th Jan 2008, 07:01
My mates logbook is hard to read, but believes the Queenair was VH-CLG, which he said, died a slow death of corrosion of the spar. The C-310 was VH-P?? and was painted all white. Badpilot your right about the Fokker and the DC-3 which flew out of Avalon to Wynyard most nights of the week. The Twin Otter was a write-off after it ran out of fuel on the east side of King Island with the pilot surviving. I now remember talking to an Aeropelican CP, some years later, saying they brought what little was left for spares.

badpilots
14th Jan 2008, 08:18
Pilotmakers
Gold crown aviation
Geelong airlines

6317alan
14th Jan 2008, 10:08
Captain Jack may have been a difficult bloke to deal with and therefore his own worst enemy, however Jack's legacy to General Aviation remains to this day in the form of GA instrument ratings as well as REG 203 operations now known as supplemental airline operations both of which he pioneered. The GA industry need more characters like Captain Jack

BULLDOG 248
15th Jan 2008, 08:09
VH-BSS was the AC690 Jack used for Geelong Airlines run to YSSY or YSBK?? (My mates not sure which one) But only lasted about 1 year. Lovely Banks was going to be developed by the Girvan? Corporation into a mayor airport able to take mayor airlines and Jack's Convairs.

badpilots
15th Jan 2008, 08:34
YSBK. Run only lasted 1 year as Jack finance BSS for the a/c and 1 years repayments. After 1 year and 1 day the a/c got repossessed.

tinpis
15th Jan 2008, 20:09
What year did GA instrument ratings start?

Stationair8
15th Jan 2008, 20:29
I reckon Jacks operation to Sydney was probably ended by Ansett and TAA,the operation was watched closely let it run for a while and then phone-calls were made and finance for the operation was no longer available.
Pretty close to the mark I reckon.

Captain Jack was probably a pain in the bum for DCA/DOT/CAA/Casa, but at least he put a fight for what he believed in.

The DC-3 and Queenair was also flown by another old-timer and very experienced DC-3 man in the late Captain Terry Burns ex Ansett and the founder of the original Air Tasmania in the 1970's.

VH-CLG would been ex Connellan Airlines from the NT.

I think also he considered running a Dove or Heron from Geelong up to the old aerodrome at Fishermans Bend at one stage in the mid 1960's

BULLDOG 248
16th Jan 2008, 08:13
I do remember the Dove or Heron parked at Lovely Banks in the 70's but never saw it fly. Had no Idea about the Fishermans Bend run though. I'm trying to scan a photo from an article in a Geelong rag of Jack and 2 other old Captains infront of the 690 at what looks like YSBK on their 1st flight. Photo is vpoor, names and 3/4 of the article is missing. The old guy I got it from said the run to YSBK was only on a regular charter basis, as Jack didn't have Reg 203 app!!!!! He also said Jack did have airline experiance, but cannot recall who for??? He then went on and on and on about Jacks Carby Icing Theory but I had to leave and go to work, so that one is for another day.

air med
16th Jan 2008, 10:32
I had the great oppitunity to work with Jack for a short while, he hated DCA/Casa with a passion, a great man and aviator, will very missed.

john_tullamarine
16th Jan 2008, 21:41
What year did GA instrument ratings start?

Tinny,

Can't recall all the detail .. when I was doing my PPL at Newcastle in the 60s, there was a local Commanche 400 owner who did the first of (it was either) the I/R or the night rating .. can remember some of the flights he did .. as best as I can recall Russ Evans came up to do his final check ride.

Captain Jack ... that takes us all back a year or 20 ...

Dog One
17th Jan 2008, 00:16
The original concept of the Dove in about 1966 was to run 203 operations between city's such as Albury to Fishermens Bend, which was less congested and closer to the city ( as YMEN was the primary airport - Tulla was still being built). This proposal was before the evolution of exempt 203 operations, and was resisted strongly by the two majors. Fishermens Bend of course was due to disappear under the Westgate Bridge within a few years.
The Dove at Lovely Banks never flew again after a heavy landing, which the insurance company refused to pay out on, and I believe is in a museum some where.

Jack's ideas where ahead of the times in many cases, but finance was always his biggest problem. with investors pulling out when the promised returns didn't eventuate.

I can remember the Auster Aiglet trainers he had, which were the only Austers approved to spin. I also remember some of the Examiners at MB not being happy with doing licence tests in them in the winter.

ASKARI
17th Jan 2008, 01:05
What a blast from the past?
Captain Jack operated GoldCrown Aviation (Turbo Commander) out of a strip just west of Tyabb (Mooroduc) for years along with some 172,s and the aerobatic bulldogs or pups or something. I remember flying one of his 172's once and we had to keep the doors closed with a bungy-cord across the machine inside from one door handle to the other!
Anyone who ever climbed up the strut to check the fuel (without using a ladder) immediately felt the rath of Captain Jack and boy; didn't you know about it!!!!
Captain Jack always reminded me of that other legend; Lesley Morris. Knew his stuff backwards and never took sh*t from no-one! RIP old mates!:ok:

badpilots
17th Jan 2008, 01:39
Bulldog, dont go there with your old mate on Jacks carby icing theory:ugh: Remember my 2nd lesson with Jack, in his always low time c150's during the PFI him saying " you will have to learn this".....and then showed me how to disconect the airswitch :rolleyes: I had no idea why but soon learned it was the wrong thing to do when I went to Grovedale one day and hired their c150 and started disconecting the airswitch.......the instructor come out and said what the bloody hell are you doing!!!!!!

BULLDOG 248
17th Jan 2008, 04:30
Badpilot....Thanks for the info. He did go on abit!!!!
ASKARI.....Your right. Beagle Pup and 2 C-172's VH-M?? and KWV I think???
Dog 1.... So thats why we never saw the dove fly and very interesting stuff about Fishermans Bend.
Thread on YMMB had some info. of how Jack got kicked out of Tyabb and so set up Mooroduc......Did the same thing happen down at Geelong......Jack getting kicked out of Grovedale....And so set up Lovely Banks????

blackburn
17th Jan 2008, 04:48
Came across Jack in 1970 when I worked for Jetair based at YMEN. He was a DC3 captain.
I recall one night departing for Warracknabeal or Horsham, when I, as a new F/O on the DC3, attempted to increase the landing gear down line pressure to minimum 500psi before we commenced our take off. Instead, I succeeded in lowering the flap completely as the two levers are placed one above the other and I had used the wrong lever. Once airborne and the acft not climbing, Jack instantly identified the problem and raised the flap. I learned quite a bit from him, including his hatred of the nation that now has the number one spot in vehicle sales in AUS. I gave him a lift after work one day down to the Essendon station, and he asked me what type my new little car was. When he found out it was a Corolla, he nearly blew a fuse!
Prior to 1970, he had worked in the Middle East and had flown Viscounts. In late 1970 Jetair bought the two ex RAAF Viscounts in an attempt to break into the two airline policy, but were forced to sell them overseas. Jack flew one or both of them out of the country.

Blackburn

badpilots
17th Jan 2008, 07:22
Bulldog, your way off the mark with Jack starting at Grovedale.
Les Mahon, an old RAF instuctor, started the school there in the early 60's. Jack and Les had great respect and were good competition for each other. Both were great old pilots who have sons who still fly. Les's company still operates today.:D

2 Dogs
17th Jan 2008, 10:01
...to see Jack Ellis's name on the forum.

I learnt to fly with Jack at Tyabb (back when it was only a grass strip and a hut) and Mooroodu, back in the 60's.

I flew a couple of Austers, VH-FAE, BYJ out of Tyabb, and a Chippie VH-AST, out of Moorooduc.

He could sure be a cranky bugger from what I remember.

RIP Jack

2 Dogs
17th Jan 2008, 11:10
http://www.casa-x.org/

J.L.W. ELLIS Limited
AVIATION ADVISORY SERVICES
Level 6 - 8 Grosvenor Mews
MAYFAIR - LONDON W.C.2.

By Royal appointment to His Highness Sir Abdullah al Salim al Sabah. Shaikhdom of KUWAIT
Consultants to B.O.A.C. Associated Companies Ltd. Trans European Airways Ltd and others.
(Above is a reprint of London advisory letterhead)

Captain J.L.W. Ellis: Abbreviated C.V.

Australian citizen, wartime RAAF aircraft engineer and Wellington Captain (Coastal Command) operational service with 458 RAAF squadron. Subsequent General Aviation and airline service to 28 thousand hours flying experience in all theatres and climates of the world including: United Kingdom, Berlin corridors, Iceland, Greenland, Arabian deserts, tropics of Asia, Africa, Mexico, Cuba, USA, Canada, trans Atlantic, trans Pacific and Australia.

Executive experience includes “fully hands on positions as “C.E.O., Managing Director, Operations Director, Operations Manager, Chief Pilot, Airline training Captain (International & Domestic) Pilot Examiner for Governments, Experienced Chief Flying Instructor - all levels including ab-initio instruction. Additionally extensive test flying - pre and post maintenance with some accident investigation.

Requested by Captain John Bisson (Chief pilot examiner for I.C.A.O.) to accept nomination to become the number two pilot examiner for I.C.A.O. but chose to stay independent.

Prime Field Experience examples: As CEO directing the establishment and/or re-vitalization of airlines in difficulties (financial and/or operational). This covered both International and Domestic Airlines. All operations undertaken completed in short measure and fully successful. Repeated advisory work for Australian Authority: A specific instance being the recovery of the then failed Rural Air Services Network.

Especial forte The improvement of airline profitability by innovative upgrade of modus Operandi and generally the inclusion of opportunities often and commonly overlooked by airline management groups.

E.G. 1. Appointed to revitalize Middle East Airlines, a B.O.A.C Associated Company, in the red for 18 months and despite three changes of B.O.A.C. management teams, remained in the red. Brought to profitability under my direction in three months.

E.G. 2. Appointed by Sir Freddie Laker to revitalize Trans Mediterranean Airways under owner and C.E.O. Munir Abu Haidar. Brought to efficient operational standard and went on to become largest round the world freight carrier and one of first to operate a Boeing 747F.

E,G. 3. Advice to Government authorities, including the Australian Authority, regarding re-establishment of failed airlines, re-establishment of rural network and flight safety improvements.

Joined by his son for the past 20 years the partnership remains active in airline operations and operations planning with a distinctive difference offering clearly considered advantages over normal and less imaginative planning.

AUSTRALIAN UNDERTAKINGS OF NATIONAL VALUE:

Reviewed reasons for failure of theAustralian department of Civil Aviation project 1965
titled “Supplementary Airlines System” (Rural network.)
Re-Planned and re-presented the scheme with important amendments and recommendations
to ensure safe and efficient operation with economic viability. The new plan was accepted and launched as Reg. 203 operation in 1967 and is the basis of Australia’s Country Air Services today but lacking the safety recommendations I had made. These recommendations were eliminated by the Australian Authority (This is the reason for the subsequent commuter accidents) The Scheme has subsequently been re-named twice.

Proposed “GENERAL AVIATION INSTRUMENT RATING” for pilots in Australian “General Aviation”. For this scheme I wrote the initial syllabus of training and trained the first pilots to illustrate the effectiveness and benefits of the scheme.

NOTE: This training has markedly reduced the previous bad record of weather related air accidents - eliminating many attendant deaths and injuries.

In 1983 - Proposed “Country Instrument Rating” Because this rating incurred greatly decreased costs, it was designed to enable more pilots, not wishing to use major airports, to acquire instrument flight skills and thus fly cross country with greater safety in inclement weather.

NOTE BENE: Although I presented this proposal to the “Authority” in 1983 It has only been instituted in the year 2000. Seventeen years late – thus many pilots who needed this training and their passengers are now dead. The delay has caused many unnecessary deaths, and injuries with aircraft and property damage running into $millions.

Captain J.L.W.Ellis.

BULLDOG 248
19th Jan 2008, 07:46
Wow 2 Dog....There is certainly some reading there. Not much ever changed at Mooroduc with the old hut and grass strip.
badpilot....Sorry I was abit out on that one!!!!!!
derek.....I think he still had that old blue captains jacket to go with title.
blackburn.....Great story about the DC-3 levers and the corolla.

PA39
19th Jan 2008, 09:06
I can tell you all now, there arn't too many jocks that could handle a Gooney Bird like Capt. Jack.

Centaurus
19th Jan 2008, 11:57
he hated DCA/Casa with a passion,

It was mutual and for many reasons

B772
20th Jan 2008, 05:35
It should be pointed out www.casa-x.org is/was the personal property of Jack. In my humble opinion many of his arguments were flawed.

BTW Is Mike is the son of Jack.

Yakfivefive
20th Jan 2008, 07:14
No it was Ted

runway16
22nd Jan 2008, 06:32
I always thought that Jack with his beard and Australian appearance was Australian but now I have been told that he was from overseas from all places Belgium if I recall the conversation.

Any confirmations ?

BULLDOG 248
23rd Jan 2008, 01:13
runway16...I thought he was Australian as well....Any idea of his age when he died????

B772
7th Apr 2015, 12:32
Runway16

I have just seen reference to Jack Ellis as being:

Jacques Louis William Ellis

1a sound asleep
26th Jul 2019, 14:07
Jack Ellis Book 2002

I met jack many times. Interesting character but so full of himself

http://vocasupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Ansett-Book-by-J.-Ellis.pdf

LeadSled
27th Jul 2019, 02:32
RIP Captain Jack Ellis, another aviation legends goes to the big hangar in the sky.

Did he fly for Ansett in the 1960's?

He also wanted to import a Carvair or DC-4 for freight in the 1970's, but was stopped by two airline act.
Stationair8,
Actually he was stopped by the Commonwealth customs powers and import licenses for aircraft, the "two airline policy" having long since been found to be unconstitutional.
Tootle pip!!

LeadSled
27th Jul 2019, 02:38
Captain Jack may have been a difficult bloke to deal with and therefore his own worst enemy, however Jack's legacy to General Aviation remains to this day in the form of GA instrument ratings as well as REG 203 operations now known as supplemental airline operations both of which he pioneered. The GA industry need more characters like Captain Jack
6317alan,
While Jack may have done many thing, instituting the changes that resulted in the original "commuter" (Reg. 203 exemption) airlines was not one of them, even if he later operated same.
Likewise "GA instrument ratings" --- what's that?? Until the advent of the PIFR all instrument rating requirements were the same, and he certainly played no part in the PIFR.
Tootle pip!!