PDA

View Full Version : Family history.

2ndGen
14th Jan 2008, 00:35
What are the requirements for divulging family health history? My mother has chronic mental health problems and I am concerned this will affect my medical. Could it pose problems getting a job? I'm fairly sure I have to tell them this.

gingernut
15th Jan 2008, 09:58
I suspect that they would be interested in the nature, severity and duration of your mum's illness. Schizophrenia, for example, is more likely in the child of a schizophrenic.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other mental health conditions which would be relevant, but perhaps others could enlighten us.

Oh that's super!
15th Jan 2008, 10:25
I don't remember having had to disclose any family medical history for the Australian medical, but then again, I may not have remembered being asked the question since I don't have anything to disclose.

You could always telephone CASA and ask?

In any case, honesty would be the best option.

2ndGen
15th Jan 2008, 11:04
She is bipolar- over the moon with joy one day, down down down the next. I'm normal! :}

gingernut
15th Jan 2008, 13:00
I'd be very certain about your mum's diagnosis, who, what, where, how and why should be the questions you ask, to ascertain that the diagnosis is robust.

Of course, if your mum told you to mind your own business, then that's the best you'll be able to offer at a medical.

obgraham
15th Jan 2008, 17:12
I've heard this question before, and so it's worth adding that for FAA medical certification, nowhere in the process is "family history" asked for. That's not likely to change any time soon. Family history information is notoriously inaccurate and is not verifiable. I wouldn't add anything not required to the application.

I realize the questioner is referring to JAA and CAA requirements, which might be different.

AIR SEYCHELLES 787
27th Jan 2008, 23:58
UK CAA (JAA) dont ask for family history. It seems like a strange one to ask anyone on a medical for any job.

gingernut
28th Jan 2008, 08:23
I'm pretty sure the soon to be released guidelines on primary prevention of heart disease, take into account family history. (The old one's certainly do).

Perhaps that's the link? ??

Ropey Pilot
31st Jan 2008, 13:36
If I am not mistaken my CAA Cat1 med form asks for family history of all sorts of things (high blood press, heart disease etc etc).

I don't see why it is irrelevant, there are many conditions which are likely to be passed on. Why would you be any less likely to inherit some factor that makes you more susceptible to a heart attack than you are to inherit ginger hair or lack of height? Everyone seems to believe physical attributes that you can see - but ignores those you can't.

BUT, they are nothing more than another risk factor (history of heart disease in both parents would statistically increase the chances of you getting it. But then so does being overweight and smoking; if all three are present you have 3 risk factors - now much more likely than joe bloggs who has none but it is still nothing more than statistics; you won't have any issues until you DO have it)

Family history shouldn't prevent you getting a medical; just lets people know what to look for early. In some cases it may even save your life!!

Don't know about mental illness though - but I would imagine if you had a possibility of inheriting this you have done quite a lot of research already.