PDA

View Full Version : More Qantas queries...

2ndGen
14th Jan 2008, 00:33
Another question on the subject of the QF cadetship. I'm applying for the Swinburne course, however because I have my PPL (along with others I'm assuming..?) I'm wondering how they will structure the course for us, seeing as we don't have to complete the ab-initio training. Will we start a semester later or will they think up something else? I'm guessing nobody knows for sure, but on the off chance I'm interested to hear your replies. Cheers

carbon
14th Jan 2008, 04:22
In the pure Swinburne course, your CPL's and ATPL's etc etc only make up 1/4 of your workload (on paper anyway). The rest of the first semester is made up of Maths, Physics and HF at Uni. There is no time allocated for practical flying, you must fit this in between your study commitments.

I believe the QF/Swin course follows the standard Swinburne course structure very closely.
Translation:-Expect to be required from day #1, regardless of your prior flying experience. (This is my educated guess, not fact).

Carbon.

Keg
14th Jan 2008, 06:49
Do the flying again- or at least some of it. It'll give you much greater confidence.

I already had a PPL when I started my cadetship in '91 ( :eek: ) and I enjoyed every GF flight that I had to repeat to get to the PPL stage of the cadetship. Whether it actually helped my ability is another question entirely. :ok:

2ndGen
14th Jan 2008, 11:33
Thanks for your help carbon, I know that the QF Swinburn assoc. degree is 4 days at moorabbin general flying services, and only 1 day at hawthorn campus, but it would make sense that regardless of the flying I have done, there will still be other subjects to finish. I was just hoping madly as I have a young family in adelaide who will be staying while i move to melbourne, want it to be as short as possible :{ As for your suggestion keg, while i would absolutely love to redo the flying, financially its not possible. with the FEE-HELP scheme and RPL for my PPL i only have to come up with $8000 to complete the course, redoing it would mean more like $30 000. So unfortunantly not possible. But i would love it. Thanks for your help guys.:ok:

Qantas Queen
14th Jan 2008, 14:31
I believe that it is highly likely it will work like this. You will probably do a couple of flights so that your standard can be evaluated, and so that you become used to the aircraft, as well as the SOPs used by GFS. SOPs are a pretty big thing at GFS. Once that's okay, you will continue on with your flying training from where you left off. You probably won't have to repeat any flying training up to PPL. As you will be significantly ahead of the others, you can either take a break from your flying for a while and wait for them to catch up, or continue on. Generally, i think it is best to continue on, but you will probably fly less frequently than those commencing the course, say maybe once a week instead of twice. This will keep you from getting rusty, whilst also not being too far ahead of everyone else.

For the CASA theory that you have already done, you can either sit in on the classes while the others do it, or just give it a miss until everyone starts with CPL theory. Most of the PPL stuff is probably still in your head somewhere and you will remember it once you start CPL theory, so you probably won't feel the need to sit in on BAK and PPL theory.

For the uni/tafe part, not a lot will change. It is seperate to the flying and theory at the airport, so you will need to go to your lectures or classes at uni/tafe, because the content will be will be completely different.

To summarise, after a check flight or two, you will probably continue on with your flying training from where you left off. You will not have to repeat theory you have already completed. The uni/tafe part won't be affected, you will go to these classes like everyone else.

As for your situation and wanting to get ahead to finish it faster, that probably won't happen. You will need to wait for everyone else to start CPL theory, and then you will do that with them. You can't really launch into it now ahead of everyone else, but if you were desperate to they might be able to work something out. Also, you won't be able to get ahead with the uni/tafe part of the course anyway to finish the whole course quicker, because you will have to stick to its timeline.

Anyway, good luck on getting in. It probably sounds like a lot right now, but it'll be easier than you think once you're settled in with everything. Don't hesitate to ask me any more questions if you've got anything else you need to know, because I will be able to answer most of them. Also, there will be someone in charge of your course who can answer these questions, and whoever you're in contact with from Qantas would also be able to either find answers for you or, if not, tell you who you need to ask. Everyone is happy to help.
Sorry about the drawn out reply, just trying to cover all the details you need to know!

QQ

Edit: just read carbon's post. If u do the uni course, there are designated days for your classes at uni, and designated days for being at moorabbin for flying and theory. Basically though, you can fly whenever you like, but you may as well do it in those designated days because that would be the easiest way to do it. I presume it is similar in the tafe course.