PDA

View Full Version : Getting my laptop back to how it was when I bought it.

gingernut
13th Jan 2008, 12:46
Gingerette has a 1 yr old laptop which caught a virus and now doesn't work.

When it starts up it says,

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select r at the first screen to start repair.

We havn't got a disc as windows was already on the computer when we got it.

Any idea's? thanks.

johnriketes
13th Jan 2008, 13:13
I am no expert by any means, however I think you will need the setup disks. You maybe able to get copies from someone with the same make and brand of laptop, or from the outlet it was purchased.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

kwachon
13th Jan 2008, 13:41
Try F8 during the boot sequence then see if you can get into safe mode. this will let you get to system restore and maybe you can restore to a date before the virus attack.

frostbite
13th Jan 2008, 14:33
If it's a Dell, try F2.

spannersatcx
13th Jan 2008, 15:40
has it got a recovery partition on it, factory restore can be done from there.

Dysonsphere
14th Jan 2008, 19:54
You should have got a recovery disc with it, did you buy it new. If not go buy a full copy of XP stick it in the dvd drive and turn on , follow instructions from there. Be warned this will delete all data on hard drive. Make sure to remove all partions on the hard drive the instructions for that are on the Windows install screen.

gingernut
15th Jan 2008, 09:51
Thanks chaps, am on the case:)

gingernut
19th Jan 2008, 08:06
Oh dear, tried the F8 button which gave me some options including "Last known good configuration" but I'm still getting this message,

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've got the product key for XP, (it's on the bottom of the computer), but no disc.

Any solutions, other than going back to the shop where I bought it. (a PC world up North).

kwachon
19th Jan 2008, 08:12
When you hit F8, go for the "SAFE MODE" start and see if that gets you in, if it does you can then look for the missing files

gingernut
19th Jan 2008, 08:18
Same message I'm afraid

Avtrician
19th Jan 2008, 09:19
Gingernut, If your system is an XP variant, get hold of a system disc, licence details are not needed for this procedure. Insert CD, and allow machine to boot. When disc gives a couple of options, (install or repair I think) setlect R for repair, and when the comand line appears, enter fixboot, followed by fixmbr. Answer yes if asked. this should repair the boot sector and boot information. Exit , and allow to restart. Hopefully this may fix things.

gingernut
19th Jan 2008, 09:44
thanks a lot, I'll give it a try

pb365
19th Jan 2008, 12:15
F8 is not the correct function for re-setting the computer, that only takes you in to safe mode. If you can remember the date when all was functioning properly then go: Programs-Accessories-Sytem Tools- System Restore.

Alternatively if you know the name of the virus then go to run and key regedit. That will take you to the registry editor and look for the virus by name BE CAREFUL IF YOU HIT THE WRONG KEY YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTORE THE ENTIRE OS!

I gather you have had the machine a year which means you may not have been provided with installation disks in which case you should have made a back-up disk of your system!

In the event my suggestions don't work then you will have to buy installation disks from the vendor or buy your own copy of windows - ouch!

hellsbrink
20th Jan 2008, 07:55
What kind of laptop?

And you should either have "recovery disks" or a "recovery partition" (which is generally accessed at the bios screen by pressing a key, the manual should tell you).

If ya don't have the disks, then I go with Avtrician as the first step. If that don't work, then I afraid I would get a way to boot into dos so I could get the important data off before formatting/reinstalling windows.