PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from CAA exams?

The Dodger
13th Jan 2008, 12:43
Hi there, I am soon to be Ex RAF and I am currently trying to get a foot in the door with an airline working as a Maintenance mechanic. I have already started studying for my B1 licence and have got wide bodied aircraft experience (Tristars). I have been recently studying alot of subjects, mainly maths, however I don't know what to expect from the CAA exams. I hope to be able to start working for an airline while being able to study at the same time. Are there any knowladgable folks out there that can give me any good pointers to which direction I should be going.:)

Mr.Brown
13th Jan 2008, 13:52
This might be able to help answer your question: http://club66pro.co.uk/index.php :ok:
I've never used it myself but I know a few chaps who have used it.

The Dodger
13th Jan 2008, 13:54
Thanks for the info Mr B. I will have a look at it.:)

Job Tart
14th Jan 2008, 13:33
Congratulations on becoming one of those exclusive breeds of Ex-RAF engineers! You are doing the right thing in gaining your B1, pay is pretty rubbish as an unlicensed mechanic in the civil world. Some companies will help you out if you are prepared to put in the effort yourself. BMI used to pay your exam fees if you passed and Virgin have in house training for both "A" and "B" Licence's and they will also pay your exam fees if you pass through CAA.

Modules: I have found that each module is as easy as the amount of work you put in! The 66 club site has been an excellent sourse of revision for me, (only 2 more modules to go!) and it does give you an excellent insight as to the exam format. The maths is fairly easy stuff, and with a bit of revision it soon comes back. Try looking at a basic GCSE Maths book, that will give you the right level to pitch your revision at.

Jobs: If you are in easy reach of Heathrow, try the BMI Hanger. They look favourable on ex-RAF people, especially with wide bodied experience. Worked for me and I was ex VC10. Money's not good but it might get you a foot in the door. They have the Cathy Pacific contract during the day and they service their own jets at night. Hope this helps.

The Dodger
15th Jan 2008, 19:21
Cheers for the advice JT. I am in the east of england at the mo(somewhere flat). I am trying to get a maintenance mechanics job for a large carrier as I type this. With a bit of luck I hope that they will take me on. I am commited to my licence now, all I am really after is to be able to work in an environment that will help me gain my licence and get me a type rating as soon as I have completed the modules. The exams are the thing that concearn me the most as the pass rate is a bit high.:bored: