PDA

View Full Version : JAA 1 CLASS on the basis of FAA 1 CLASS

mau mau
13th Jan 2008, 10:27
Hello to everyone, I write something I hope it is helpfull.
I done and got initial 1 CLASS at Gatwick some day ago, no restrictions. :)

I done 8 years ago, PRK laser surgery to correct my myopia: was -5 and -5, no astigmatism.
In Italy, we does not follow JAR FCL-3 (even if we are JAA state) and in this case is not allow any laser surgery and myopia have do not exeed -3 for the 1 class initial. I was unable to got it.
I gone in USA for CPL/IR/twin and 1 class as well.
Now, I've decided to convert my FAA in JAA and UK is my choose so I contact CAA in Gatwick for an appointmen.
SO:

1- The initial is on the basis of FAA 1 class, this mean that it is an initial but with parameters quiete more confortable...something like a renewal even if they don't admit this. Is accepted any ICAO CPL but I assume FAA is better for they.
2 - They want your FAA flight licence and the total of flight hours as well (to apply point one at your visit).
3- The visit cost is 264£, because they don't do some exam (like EEG, spirometry ecc).
4- Have only FAA 1 CLASS is not allowed and they does not want even see it; they want ONLY your FAA CPL flight licence.

The Ophthalmologist, done to me a lot of questions about glare, night visions with the lights, ecc ecc, but the laser surgery is accepted for the initial, so if you did it, go to gatwick without problems.
The limits before intervention are normally MAX -5,00 (on a total of 10/10) but I'm quiete sure that if you exeed this limits but you have a FAA CPL flight licence, they will use limits more bigger for you, to meet your necessity (on the basis of your FAA).

NOTE: I done for the first time in my life, 2 mistakes with a table of Ishihara test: this mean that this test right there, have something wrong or strange: may be the light on the room, I don't know, but I never had any problems with Hishihara even after laser RPK and always guessed all tables .... so this is strange. Colors perception is a skill that you never lost with the age.
Anyway, in order to be sure, they make me done lantern test: in a dark room have to identify a little light over a distance of 4 metres; the colors are: orange, red, blue, green and dirty white and are switch-on for only one second...but is enought. Not allowed a demo before. But is really simple this test so no problem at all.
The really hard test is the CONTRAST test, but is to long and difficult to me explain it in english ...sorry :}
They do a contrast test to see if you had lost this skill after the laser intervention and is mandatory I assume.
I did it well, so at the end 1 CLASS no restrictions.

IMPORTANT: they don't do any corneal map or any computer mapping at your eyes so if you decide do not tell them nothing about your intervention, they will never know. Only with computer mapping is possible to identify some laser intervention and they don't do it (I assume even they don't have the equipment). So depend on your honesty. By my side, as the intervention is admitted, I've decided to tell them all, sending my pre-laser report to they by ordinary mail.

I hope this my report is helpfull for someone, if you have some questions, ask.

IRpilot2006
17th Jan 2008, 10:52
Maumau

This business of making extra concessions for holders of ICAO CPL or ATPL used to be officially documented on the CAA website till end of 2006 and then it disappeared. This allowed the holder of any ICAO Class 1 to enter the JAA medical route under the RENEWAL levels, and on those you get demonstrated ability, including NO limits on uncorrected vision and hearing.

It's good to know they still run something like this. I have actually heard this the other day from somebody else too.