PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar quietly drop their requirements

Wing Root
13th Jan 2008, 03:19
Looking at the bfound site I see this is the new minima:

Minimum 1500 hours total aeronautical experience of which 500 hours may be helicopter time,
500 hours Pilot in Command or First Officer on Multi Engine Aircraft and
250 hours Pilot in Command of fixed-wing aircraft of which 150 may be ICUS.Looks like things are only getting better for us out there.

P.S
Is there any chance of not turning this into the "Why would you want to work for Jetstar?" thread?

nomorecatering
13th Jan 2008, 05:17
If only they would drop the dumb psych test for stage 1

saabsforever
13th Jan 2008, 06:25
:E Oh all right then: ' Why would anyone want to work for Jetstar????':E:E

THE IRON MAIDEN
13th Jan 2008, 06:37
Wingroot

Would you work for J*?

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2008, 07:16
Haven't they been 1500 hours for some time?:eek:

Capt Wally
13th Jan 2008, 07:55
500 hrs helo time hey?, interesting. That would work seeing as the 'bus' has a little joystick that ought to make any 'angry palm tree' driver happy:). If they dropped the 'nutta' test then there would be no pilots left for dusting crops !!:} Those guys are crazy, in a nice way of course:ok:!

CW:)

Wing Root
13th Jan 2008, 07:56
Would you work for J*? - The Iron Maiden
Yes
Haven't they been 1500 hours for some time?:eek: - Howard Hughes
Last I checked it was 2000

galdian
13th Jan 2008, 08:57
And so it is proven:

The answer to the lack of experience is to lower the requirements for entry, fair enough.

So how long before min requirements are:
- CPL;
- hours required for CPL;
- have seen a twin engined aircraft somewhere (but can't quite remember where);
- nuckles dragging far enough off the ground so you can (comfortably and expiditiously as screamed at from the LHS) operate the gear and flaps - without getting the two mixed up TOO OFTEN (definition at discretion of xxxxxx management as what is "too often");
- command upgrade - hey, that will be SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEM!

Welcome to the modern world of commercial aviation! :eek:

Wing Root
13th Jan 2008, 09:57
Galdian... Aren't you describing a cadet?

ducks...

topend3
13th Jan 2008, 10:17
CPL;
- hours required for CPL;
- have seen a twin engined aircraft somewhere (but can't quite remember where);
- nuckles dragging far enough off the ground so you can (comfortably and expiditiously as screamed at from the LHS) operate the gear and flaps - without getting the two mixed up TOO OFTEN (definition at discretion of xxxxxx management as what is "too often");
- command upgrade - hey, that will be SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEM!

Welcome to the modern world of commercial aviation

soon hopefully!!!

neville_nobody
13th Jan 2008, 10:58
Well that's not what Alan Joyce has told Air Transport world:

At least the global pilot shortage is not an issue, with many ex-Ansett and Australian pilots who went overseas after the bitter and protracted 1989 pilot strike seeking positions. A recent advertisement for 777 direct-entry captains for the 787 attracted more than 100 applicants, says Joyce. "We also had 2,000 applications for A320 positions."

http://www.atwonline.com/magazine/article.html?articleID=2118

Towering Q
13th Jan 2008, 11:07
Things can't be that bad for Jet*, I know of two experienced turbo-prop drivers they've turned away.

lemel
13th Jan 2008, 11:11
hey boys and girls,

just quietly, i heard a little rumor (dont know if its 100% accurate) that qantas is going to be dropping the verbal and spatial reasoning from its psych tests as of feb. if this happened, i am sure jetstar would follow suit.

it would seem that the psych testing is weeding out too many pilots. i am sure they worked well when there was ample applicants and only a handful of positions going.

if thinks keep going the way they are, i am sure that they will be a thing of the past.

LemeL

lemel
13th Jan 2008, 12:08
FP_Ace,

a friend of mine did the testing not too long ago and got told this by one of the HR people. I dont think he would be making it up, but the HR people may be wrong or ill advised.

will keep my fingers crossed for you.

good luck with it all

LemeL

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2008, 17:27
"We also had 2,000 applications for A320 positions."
2000 applicants? Of which 1000 don't meet the minimums (unless you set it at bare CPL), 500 that you have had since day 1 and haven't bothered to call (for whatever reason), the other 500 who are probably competitive, but who also have applications on with Virgin, QF, Cathay, Dragonair...

As far as expats wanting to come home, I am sure they will get a few, you always willl regardless of how low the pay is set, but enough to crew the whole fleet of 787's, I doubt it!;)

dingo222
13th Jan 2008, 18:39
just curious, where r u finding these new mins?

Gator32
13th Jan 2008, 19:24
Can anyone confirm how long it generally takes for Jetstar to respond to an initial application?

Also, can anyone advise whether they have gained entry with less than the above stated minimum. In my case I have 800hrs total time, which includes 550hrs on the A320. I am currently working for a UK operator although with OZ residency I am keen to relocate sometime in the future so any info is appreciated.

Thx

Oh that's super!
13th Jan 2008, 19:35
At least the global pilot shortage is not an issue, with many ex-Ansett and Australian pilots who went overseas after the bitter and protracted 1989 pilot strike seeking positions. A recent advertisement for 777 direct-entry captains for the 787 attracted more than 100 applicants, says Joyce. "We also had 2,000 applications for A320 positions."

Two questions there are:
1. How many actually met the criteria
2. How many will accept the job if offered.

Kiwiguy
13th Jan 2008, 21:34
That reminds me of how the NZ Police Force dumbed down entry requirements and allowed recruitment of people with criminal records.

Now you can't distinguish them from the crims either.

mr.tos
13th Jan 2008, 22:15
Why are we all bagging Jetstar and not virgin:confused:.
Virgin minimums are lower than J* with only 1000TT and 500multi.

neville_nobody
14th Jan 2008, 00:15
Minimums don't really mean much it's the average experience of those being hired. QF minimums have been at 500 forever but they don't actually hire many (if any) people with that sort of experience.

Metro man
14th Jan 2008, 02:00
They are not lowering their requirements, they are just having to look harder for the sort of people they need. They don't want to exclude someone suitable just because their hours may be a bit short of what they would like.

Ten years ago they could set the bar high and choose from experienced people. Now in order to get what they want they have to look at those with less experience.

1500 hrs good in the sim, easy to train, good attitude = hired
5000 hrs poor sim, difficult to teach, bad attitude = rejected