PDA

View Full Version : Zero Timing an Old Airframe.

nomorecatering
13th Jan 2008, 02:43
Many old classic airframes that are long out of production, and with the passage of time the numbers of them are falling due to corrision, or hrs mandated retirement.

Can an airframe, and we're talking about a typical non presurised airframe, that may have been retired at x numbe of hrs due to an AD that mandates a retirement after a certain TTIS is reached. Can it be rebuilt, new spar, wing box carrythru structure etc so that casa would start its life again with zero hrs.

PLovett
13th Jan 2008, 04:55
The Twin Commander Corporation in the United States did exactly that with Aero Commander airframes, both piston and turbine. However, the corporation went bankrupt.:uhoh:

In their case it was a complete strip down and rebuild with new spars, wiring, avionics, the lot. The FAA recognised it by issuing new plates for the airframe with zero hours.:ok:

I remember looking at their web site and the lengths they went to and being very impressed. However, it was also very expensive and not many people want that type of aircraft today, despite what you hear about Chieftains and 402s etc.:sad:

However, I don't think anyone else has tried it with any other airframes.:(

nomorecatering
13th Jan 2008, 05:15
They must still be going, teir website is still active and talking about future work.

Cap'n Arrr
13th Jan 2008, 07:21
I've often wondered if there was a market for buying the rights to an out of production airframe, such as PA31 or C441, and building new models on demand... same airframe/engine, but newer avionics and interior, with possible sound/performance improvements (e.g. standard Chieftain with vortex kit)

Any truth to the idea that Cessna stopped building the Conquest because it killed their jet sales?

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2008, 07:25
I've often wondered if there was a market for buying the rights to an out of production airframe, such as PA31 or C441, and building new models on demand...
Only if you could build it to the original FAR requirements, the newer requirements tend to make the aircraft far too heavy, just look at the Baron and Bonanza!:eek:

bushy
13th Jan 2008, 07:50
The PA32 is now limited by CASA to 11,000 hours, unless the wing spars are replaced, and a modification done to the carry through box.
Piper state that the spars should be inspected at 70,000 hours (yes seventy thousand), and there is an inspection scheme for that. CASA will not accept the Piper inspection scheme either.
So, re-sparring PA32 wings may be viable. But it is only required in Australia.

Desert Duck
13th Jan 2008, 08:11
HH

About 12 years ago Piper offered to build new PA31's -

Min order of 50 @ 1 mil US each

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2008, 08:28
If only you could get them for a mill now!;)

gassed budgie
13th Jan 2008, 13:52
The Twin Commander Corporation in the United States did exactly that with Aero Commander airframes

The airframes were never zero timed.

Any truth to the idea that Cessna stopped building the Conquest because it killed their jet sales?

Cessna have in the past investigated putting a number of their aircraft back into production, the 441 being one of them. They figured at the price they would have to ask, you'd buy the Citation instead.

gassed budgie
13th Jan 2008, 14:05
Twin Commander Corporation in the United States did exactly that with Aero Commander airframes, both piston and turbine. However, the corporation went bankrupt

http://www.twincommander.com/

Still around and one of the classics.

Kiwiguy
13th Jan 2008, 21:31
I think Gruman did something like that with the old HU-16 Albatross amphibians to turn them into the G-111 commuter.

I know that the 727 had an AD a few years back for drilling out all the steel rivets in their fuselages and re-riveting them. The engine mounts also had to be re-newed under another AD. Effectively only the VIP or freighter 727s could justify the expense.

DUXNUTZ
13th Jan 2008, 21:37
There is a place doing this to old Merlins i believe in the states. http://www.m7aerospace.com/page/factory_refurbished_merlin.jspAlso there's this mod to convair that i think extends the life greatly if not from a clean slate state. http://www.flightcraft.ca/maintenance_mods_stretch.asp