PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas

WimDB
12th Jan 2008, 21:36
I keep my story short :)

My goal is also to move to Auz. The problem is. Right now I work as a print machine operator, it's no problem to move to Auz and get a permanent resident visa. I have 127 points, and minimum is 120.

Now I came to a point in my life where I want to improve my life quality and get back to my first dream when I was a little boy, and that was being a pilot.

To make the story shorter: I want to be a pilot in Auz with a major company. I know they pay less there than in Europe. This week I have my medical control. If that is OK I'll start with the integrated ATPL course in april here in Belgium, and I'm getting nervous and starting to have doubt if it'll be the right choice. It's no problem to cancel the course, haven't paid nothing yet. It's not my problem.

If I ever return to Europe and keep my ATPL JAR license valid, then I have more rights to do and stand where I want.

So, is there really 'a real chance' to find work as an 1st officer with an major Auz airline company?

Some help or an extra angle about my situation is more than welcome :)

kalavo
12th Jan 2008, 21:47
So, is there really 'a real chance' to find work as an 1st officer with an major Auz airline company?

The industry itself is the best it's been in a very long time. But you won't walk in to an Airline job here with a CPL + ATPL Theory. You're stil realistically looking at needing to get 2000hrs of experience first before the airlines will touch you as an FO.

Launchpad McQuack
12th Jan 2008, 22:42
WimDB - Aussie is not like Europe at all. You don't go straight into Airline jobs upon completion of your CPL/frozen ATPL (with the exception of Airline Cadets).

You can expect to do the hard yards in GA over here for a few years (as Kalavo pointed out) before you'll even get a shot at an F/O slot. If you really want an airline/big-jet job, then you're better off in Europe with your JAA ATPL.

Good luck with your ambitions either way...

LP

WimDB
12th Jan 2008, 23:31
aha, interesting to hear.

And what about working here for a few years and then try to find a job there,, should they also accept the jet building hours from JAR into their CASA license?

MACH082
13th Jan 2008, 00:37
the requirements are for Virgin, 1000 hours TT with 500 multi engine command hours, you wont get that as an FO on a jet in Europe, although if you have a 737 type endo and exp, then come here and flog around GA for a while, it will hold you in good steed. Jetscar want 2000TT with 500 multi command, again same story as Virgin, but if you get some time on the Bus and come over to Aus and hit GA, it may work. QF want 500 command and High school passes in Maths and English it must also be equal to the NSW tertiary education syllabus, so you may need to check that out. For Instance U.S passes are generally not to the same standard as AUS and therefore may not be recognised.

All the info you need is on the Airline websites, you can also contact QF HR to see if your results will be validated.

Best of luck, its a great country and you would be able to provide a great lifestyle for your family if given the chance. Just remember many Aussie pilots dont get given the chance to get an airline gig, and head overseas themselves, so you will have to be very competetive in your application!