PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical Renewal

kwachon
12th Jan 2008, 17:12
I held a CAA Class 1 medical back in 1986 and moved to the states. All my licenses and medical (Class 1 ) are now FAA. My question is, If I come back to the UK and decide to go the JAA route, will I have to undergo a full Class 1 Medical again or just a renewal. (eyesight is the kicker here).

thanks KW

niknak
12th Jan 2008, 23:35
The medical renewal is no different from your initial medical examination, regardless of where you take it.
The exception being of the requirement for an ECG and Audiogramme, which only have to be taken periodcally, not every year - dependent upon your age, but if you haven't had a UK CAA examination since 1986 you'll definately require the full medical.

What you may find is that the content of the examination has changed, i.e blood/colesterol checks.
There's still not total parity between the UK CAA and JAA medical class one and eyesight was one of the issues, the JAA were stricter than the CAA.

Gav28
11th Feb 2008, 14:26
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could advise me on this.

I had my initial class 1 at Gatwick almost a year ago and passed ok. I'm now in the process of saving up for my professional training and do the odd bit of PPL flying at the moment.

Is there any value in renewing my class 1 before it expires or should I just let it lapse and renew it again when I actually come to do my CPL etc?
If I don't renew will I have to go through a more stringent(or expensive) medical exam to get my class 1 privileges reinstated, than I would if I just keep it current each year?

Thanks very much

Shunter
11th Feb 2008, 19:48
Gav - your initial medical is valid for class 1 privileges for 12 months, but you can let it lapse for upto 5 years (flying on your Class 2 privileges) and the renewal is exactly the same.

After 5 years it's back to Gatwick...

2close
11th Feb 2008, 22:37
Nearly right, Shunter,

After expiry, for up to 5 years you can simply renew the Class 1 with an AME (authorised to Class 1).

After that, for the next 5 years, as you rightly say it's back to Gatwick but only to Renewal standards.

After 10 years, it's back to Gatwick and Initial standards.

So, our original poster will have to go back to Gatwick for an Initial.

2close

How are you by the way? Been getting the e-mails?

Shunter
12th Feb 2008, 06:19
Duly noted. And yes, still playing catch-up after a few months living out of a suitcase :hmm:

Gav28
12th Feb 2008, 16:53
Thanks for that guys.

I'll cancel the class 1 renewal appointment i've made in that case.

Cheers