PDA

View Full Version : DEP & APP briefing

OsPi
12th Jan 2008, 13:25
I'm currently doing my CPL/ME/IR training at ESSB. We're using EAG plates now but probably going over to Jeppesen soon.

I think I'm struggling a bit with briefing departures and approaches in a nice way. Could you guys help me out with what to say and in what order, I'd like to get my briefings as nice as seen in real world cockpits. :cool:

Cheers!

asuweb
12th Jan 2008, 16:35
Start at the top left of the plate, and work from left to right.

For example, jep approach plates:

Start with the plate number and date, then it would be frequency, crs, check height etc etc.

Just my way of doing it. I don't believe there is a correct way of doing it, make it an interesting brief, the object isn't to put the person you're briefing to sleep. Try to make it interactive if you can.

OsPi
14th Jan 2008, 03:00
Thanks, I'll keep those things in mind next time. :ok:

rogerg
14th Jan 2008, 03:20
I just describe how I plan to do the approach. As I talk about I set it up and emphasise any unusual points. ie.
This will be an ILS to rwy 24 at xxx, the freq is xxx and inbound course is xxx. The safety alt is xxx. Platform alt is xxx and the faf is xxx. Just continue to the GA and that way every app brief is the same, only the details vary.

downwind
14th Jan 2008, 05:44
MULTI ENGINE PISTON DEPARTURE BRIEFING:

Departure runway?

Aircraft vital speeds VMCA kts, Vr kts and Vyse kts

Any failure or malfunction below kts I shall abort

Any failure or malfunction after kts, with insufficient runway I shall abort and land ahead

Any failure or malfunction after kts, with insufficient runway, continue the take off and carry out drills and asses performance if not climbing pick a field ahead:

Mixture up, pitch up, power up, gear up, flap up.

IDENTIFY DEAD LEG DEAD ENGINE, slowly close throttle to confirm the effected engine, feather engine, mixture cutoff and cowl flap affected engine close.

Actions in VMC, attained blue line (VYSE)?

Actions in IMC, attained blue line (VYSE)?

Where will we go if we lose an engine in IMC (Consider WAC, VTC, topographical charts, missed approach tracks from instrument approach charts, aerials, towers, terrain and buildings in the area)?

Consider the track miles we will consume when we are in a engine out configuration?

What we will say to ATS when we first contact them in the MAYDAY call ie… request radar vectors?

LSALT for 1st leg of the route?

Cleared level to fly initially?

MSA?

GRID MORA (outside 25 nm’s MSA) know what is out there?

Navaids set up: NDB, VOR and GPS?

MULTI ENGINE PISTON ARRIVAL BRIEFING:

Descent point for airport?

Terrain in the airport area?

GRID MORA (outside 25 nm’s MSA) know what is out there?

MSA?

LSALT for leg of the route?

Plate briefing:

1. Chart name?

2. Chart number and date?

3. MSA?

4. Holding pattern/sector entry? Always brief it you never know when you'll get a last minute hold instruction (limiting holding speeds).

5. Lead bearing? (if app) and (outbound) final inbound track and aircraft speed category ie… cat A or B speeds?

6. Frequency of navaid/s?

7. Glideslope check heights or FAF and marker beacons set?

8. Minima? MDA /DA, threshold elevation, visibility required

Brief the localiser only minima for an ILS in case the G/S fails

Runway position for a non precision approach, consider circling approach options and obstructions in the circling area

What sort of lights you might encounter when you break visual, plus T-VASI, PAPI or whatever else you might rely on for slope guidance below the MDA

Remember to add whatever corrections are appropriate for the approach ie… PEC, forecast QNH, AWIB…

9. Missed approach? Including expected sector entry if tracking back to the hold for a second go

10. Notes? (poor navaids, fluctuations, course reversal etc…)

Weather for arrival (ATIS, AWIB, ARFOR, TAF, TTF etc…)?

Notams for arrival?

Navaids set up: NDB, VOR and GPS, when will we monitor the navaid for the approach?

Fuel quantity for hold or divert in litres, then minutes?