PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Express

before landing check list
6th May 2001, 06:40
Anyone hear a rumor on DHL buying Airborne?

------------------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.

TowerDog
6th May 2001, 08:44
No.

Maybe the other way around?

Congrats on FD forum.
Any EV or ex FF Freight animals out there?
Or AK fish-haulers? DC-3s, DC-8s.?

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

before landing check list
6th May 2001, 16:28
Tower, I am a 8 SO on the 61,62, and 63.

------------------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.

CargoRat2
6th May 2001, 19:31
Just picked this one up from AirCargoWorld (edit oops not ACN!)

Airborne posts $17 million loss

irborne Inc. today announced that it lost $17 million, or 35 cents a share, in the first quarter. That compares with net earnings before a change in accounting of $17.9 million, or 36 cents a share, in the first quarter of 2000.

Airborne attributed the loss to the slowing economy, a shift to deferred shipments and the lack of growth in its core domestic product.

Revenue for the quarter was up narrowly by 1.4% to $824 million from $812 million a year earlier. International revenue increased 7.1% while domestic revenue rose less than 1%. Average revenue per domestic shipment edged downward 1.7% as higher yielding overnight express volumes declined.

"We remain committed to our growth initiatives despite the deteriorating economic conditions adversely impacting our shipment volume growth," said Robert Cline, chairman and chief executive, referring to the carrier's introduction last month of its ground delivery service.

Operating expenses rose 8.1% to $842 million. The Seattle-based company said it continues to focus on controlling costs. Airborne has reduced planned capital spending by $60 million to a targeted level of $200 million for 2001.

Total shipment volume rose 2% to 85 million. Domestic volume rose 1.9% to 83.3 million.

------------------
rgds Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat2 (edited 06 May 2001).]

Roc
7th May 2001, 07:27
This is not meant to anger Airborne Pilots, But any Cargo operator that is so cheap as to not want to pay the extra cash to install a real cargo door on their fleet, and instead load their aircraft with little suitcase looking containers through a passenger door will not be around too long! I sat in amazment in Springfield Illinois, as an Airborne DC-9 was loaded. As I pulled into the chocks, the Airborne folks were busy lining up what looked like hundreds of these suitcase sized containers, as my jet was unloaded and uploaded within 9 minutes, the Airborne guys looked like they still had 2 hours to go! One of the reasons I never even applied..Though I wish them Luck, it says alot about their Company.

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
11th May 2001, 07:40
Abex DC-9 can sizes are LD3 type cans that in addition to fitting in any of their ground transportation, fit perfectly in their feeder network, eg, Shorts SD-360 types.
This often negates the time consumed in a sort facility taken when splitting larger can types for re-distribution. Actual download time for a full DC-9 can be as little as 15 minutes.
Not saying it's the way to go just saying that it seems to work better than the looseloads we carry on the F-27 for FedEx which require multiple can re-weighs and mini-sorts, takes about an hour or more to fully down or upload the F-27.

Zoner
12th May 2001, 09:18
Hey Tower Dog,
Are you an ex-zoner? I've been here forever, a real survivor! Currently on the whale.

RampTramp
16th May 2001, 20:54
BLCL, this is about the thrid time round for this rumour. Both UPS & DHL have been linked with ABX but nothing firm so far.

------------------
I'm not old, I was just born too early

fr8poodle
16th May 2001, 23:16
Heard that Airborne is in the midst of a large furlough. With 5 off the property already. with more to follow.....

Elguapo747
19th May 2001, 20:49
Hey TowerDog

Of course there are us FF http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif (didn't want to use real airline name since they really wern't a real airline) people laying around. I was in the first group to go when the started their crash dive into Chap 11. I went across the street to 5Y (Atlas Air) and thought I had died and gone to heaven--then I finished the ground school.

In march I completed one year with this company and recived this beutiful clock (an anniversary gift), in April the profit sharing dispute with the company was resolved. The union told us that we are finally coming to the end of negotiations with the company :) (it seems that things were going good). In May prior to reciving my very first profit sharing check the MIA chief pilot calls me and tells me that I am about to be laid-off again :mad:

Other than that life has been great!!!

------------------
El Guapo 747
(Wow that is a BIG ONE!!)