PDA

View Full Version : AFX info needed

TakeTheCup
10th Jul 2001, 20:07
Wonder if anyone can supply some information on AFX, anything would be useful, what the company is like to work for, expansion plans etc...

basil fawlty
10th Jul 2001, 23:12
I applied for a job with them, and didn't get a reply or even a PFO letter, nothing.
Maybe an error, or maybe a s**t company!!??

Doctor Cruces
11th Jul 2001, 04:38
Sent them a CV several months ago after telephone contact and they seemed rather keen. All of a sudden couldn't get through to the man concerned and couldn't even get him to return my calls, so after leaving several messages over a couple of weeks I crossed them off my list.

Got a phone call out of the blue yesterday from the same bloke asking if I was still available........

Wouldn't like to work for a company like that.

Doc C.

Hunter58
11th Jul 2001, 11:11
Not that I would know anything, but aren't you a little hard with the company? I mean, they're new in the business, hae two airplanes that basically fly as the CV charter department, and have a hard enough time to stay in the business. They don't have a FedEx schedule where they can plan pilot requirements to the last 10 digits behind the comma! So everything is a little more improvised, and guess what, you're still a pilot, not a number.

And, contrary to othe 747 ACMI operators, they seem not to pour the money into the VPs and Managers, but into the operation which then would benefit....you, the pilots.

Saturn
11th Jul 2001, 21:08
"www.afx-747.com" is there website. They have two ex-BA B747-200's. Flying for Cargolux a bunch and have also some London-New York route. Supposed to be getting another B747-200 soon. Retired BA guys flying for them and heard even a few Virgin guys also. Was told by a Cargolux person that there maintanence is a bit shotty. Heard they need crews pretty badly. Airline Appointments is headhunting for them also. Good luck.

Penn Doff
11th Jul 2001, 21:59
I think you will find that the aircraft are not ex BA (the previous reg no's were N640FE & N641FE, which would point at Fed Ex),also they are looking at taking on a third aircraft soon.

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: Penn Doff ]

palmtree
15th Jul 2001, 15:10
Apologies to the Doc if he didn't get a reply -- someone in the US posted that we had a need for any type of pilot about 5 months ago - we have had thousands of letters and emails - mostly from young people with 200 hours and a twin rating - very sad and very irresponsible to whoever did it as one of the sites was a site where you had to pay to get a list of jobs available!!!!. We were just overloaded with applications - so sorry to any of you who applied and didn't get a reply. Anyone out there with a JAR licence and a 747 rating can apply send emails to [email protected]

Ref the post about maintenance, we are a JAR-OPS operator and have a JAR-145 approval too.
All of our Flight Engineers are qualified ground engineers (avionics or A+C). We have full engineering support inhouse. We have purchased 3 ex-BA 747's for spares (less engines). They are in Roswell, New Mexico and are just about finished being dismantled and then all of the spares will be brought back. That will help us. We have 3 spare engines. I don't know who in Cargolux said what they did, but both our aircraft are having checks at Cargolux now (G-INTL right now and G-GAFX straight after).

G-GAFX is leased from Boeing and we have started talks to buy it. G-INTL we paid cash for so we own it and didn't borrow any money to buy it and the third one that will be registered G-CSTA is from POLAR (same engines as the others)is being purchased with a loan over a few years.

3 x a week flights start to Hong Kong this Saturday 21 July and as soon as we get the ex-Polar aircraft we will fly 4 x a week to Chicago. These are scheduled routes. Lots of other routes are planed but we don't want to over-expand, especially in a very tricky cargo market. G-GAFX will still fly for Cargolux.

All of the people here are great - some of the Ex BA guys are on big pensions so don't have to put themselves out to help us but they do...... can't ask for more.

Anyway, hope that clears up a few rumours. We are all trying to have a good safe reliable operation that our customers like and want to keep using.

CR2
15th Jul 2001, 19:47
Hi Palmtree. If you have any influence with the powers that be at AFX, please have them do something about the cargo system on GAFX. The Loadmaster's panel at the SCD has a crossed wire in it somewhere - switching the pdus 19R off causes the whole panel to light up.
INTL is missing PDU19L2; 19L1 is brand new, but there's still something wrong with it (only turns 90 degrees when it feels like it). 18L is going to fail soon as are a couple of others (13L or 14L I think).
TA!

Saturn
16th Jul 2001, 19:53
Sorry Palmtree/AFX. I was asking info about AFX and got a response from a Cargolux person/pilot I think, and he said the MX was a bit shotty. Hope that I didn't offend. I have applied and have previous 747 experience so I have been looking. AFX sounds like a decent operation.

17th Jul 2001, 22:43
Nice company, good guys, no children!

I'm enjoying it. :D

Diesel8
18th Jul 2001, 06:16
Palmtree,

Sent you a private email.

Thanks in advance,

D8