PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the ditch (in a Kayak!)

SkySurfin
11th Jan 2008, 22:53
After the sad passing of Sir Ed last night I thought it might be suitable to join in and celebrate a new type of explorer. Whilst I realise this is an avaiation forum I believe most of us from downunder love to follow amazing achievements of sucess from our fellow countrymen.

Two young Australians are about to complete the first ever kayak across the Tasman, and land in New Plymouth. Great coverage can be found with the use of google map and the latest gps updating system at www.crossingtheditch.com.au

Kiwiguy
12th Jan 2008, 02:17
Was it Paul McCaffrey who crossed alone east to west in the Seventies.

How come he never got a gong ?

As for the guy who went missing near Fiordland after taking a photo of the Southern Alps, that has to be a very suspicious adventure.

Howard Hughes
12th Jan 2008, 02:58
Two young Australians are about to complete the first ever kayak across the Tasman, and land in New Plymouth.
Didn't some Kiwis just beat them by going the other way?:ooh:

gsf
12th Jan 2008, 06:04
Howard; The others you refer to were a crew of 4 who rowed, the current pair are paddling.

This current attempt is an indication of the lengths some will go to escape the west island. :)

Mr.Buzzy
12th Jan 2008, 08:52
What does Jetconnect charge for a one way seat these days?

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Jabawocky
12th Jan 2008, 11:38
I'll bet even the Qantas service will look good to these blokes:uhoh:

Fairly safe bet also they are not going to paddle back!

Brian Abraham
12th Jan 2008, 14:14
I'll bet even the Qantas service will look good to these blokes

I doubt it Jaba. Think they will have seen enough water. :E

tinpis
12th Jan 2008, 17:23
The Maoris paddled across the Pacific centuries ago
They then sensibly waited for an air service to take them to Bondi.

pakeha-boy
12th Jan 2008, 18:29
yeah ...they did tinnie......but those jokers didnt have a 40 hp merc,stuck in the middle of the boat(like they do now):}