PDA

View Full Version : Vaio t1xp memory issue

Wing Commander Fowler
11th Jan 2008, 21:35
Hi chaps, I have a vaio t1xp and recently added a transcend 512Mb DDR333 module to help run Vista. Within the hour it started bluescreen, memory dumping and restarting. Is it likely that the module itself is at fault or could the motherboard be faulty obviously in the area of the extra memory bay?

Would appreciate any suggestions you might have to diagnose as I surely don't want to buy another module if its gonna be wasted money.

Thanx in anticipation.

Fowler

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2008, 11:50
Vista's got a memory test utility. You could run that and see what it says.

Saab Dastard
12th Jan 2008, 16:01
There is also a free download called Memtest.

Have you checked that your laptop supports the size and configuration / combination of modules that you are using? Are there any forums on the Sony site that you can get information about the particular model and any reported issues with memory?

Did you use an online configurator such as Crucial or Kingston to ascertain the correct module? Many vendors offer a full refund if you use such tools to specify and order RAM but discover that it doesn't actually work.

I had a similar problem with a desktop PC based on an Asus mobo, where the manual and specs stated that it supported up to 2 x 1GB modules. Only after buying and installing them did I discover that in fact there was a bug in their firmware (never fixed) that prevented 1GB modules being used. I sold the modules on ebay :(

SD

Saab Dastard
12th Jan 2008, 16:02
Vista's got a memory test utility. You could run that and see what it says.

"You need more" - what else do you think Vista would say? ;)

SD

Wing Commander Fowler
12th Jan 2008, 16:47
Bushfiva and Saab - ran memory diagnostics and with the memory module installed on pass 1 at about 3% it identified a hardware problem and advised me that i would have to contact the manufacturer.......... "yeah right!"
It continued the tests and took more than 2 hours at which point it tried a restart and failed with a stop code of 0xc000000d

Removed the module and tested again and within 15 minutes it completed the tests stating no problems found.

Ok now could it still be the board in the vicinity of the extra ram bay with a problem which only occurs if ram installed?

Yes Saab the memory configurator states this is the "chosen one". Its transcend who do give a l;ifetime warranty but since i bought it on ebay and over a year ago but no longer have the receipt..... well.......

Bloody shame as they are 60 quid a piece!

Oh and the sony vaio forum seems a bit quiet on this one......

Next move? :ugh:

kwachon
12th Jan 2008, 17:37
Try cleaning the memory card pins with an eraser (the ink kind), then try again, had this happen on my HP and was found to be crud on the card. After a gentle clean worked fine.

Saab Dastard
12th Jan 2008, 18:59
I don't know your machine, but is it possible to remove the existing module or is it fixed?

If you can remove it, try installing the new module in the old socket, if you see what I mean. Run the tests and that should help to pinpoint if it's a socket or module problem.

You can also try putting the old module in the other slot (if the BIOS supports leaving the original slot empty), and testing that.

The memory module is more likely, on balance, to be the problem (especially if bought 2nd hand), than the laptop. That isn't saying that it cannot be the laptop! If so, I hope it is still under warranty!

SD

Wing Commander Fowler
12th Jan 2008, 19:08
Hehe! No its not under warranty, the mobo was replaced at 9 months due to a manufacturing fault. Original memory not removeable sadly and other module was new from ebay but you never know........

Some good ideas though and thanx fer tryin!