PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Traffic RDS-TMC

old,not bold
11th Jan 2008, 16:03
Along with, apparently, half the population I acquired a TomTom over Christmas; the GO 720 Traffic version.

All works fine EXCEPT that although the RDS-TMC aerial is connected and the system is trying to find a frequency to lock to, it has only done so once. I've been driving locally in Devon and once to LHR and back, when it locked (westbound only) briefly while passing Bristol.

One or two forums seem to be saying that others have this problem, but they might as well be writing in Sanscrit about the possible fixes.

I talked to their support; not too long to reply but not much expertise as far as I could tell. Following their advice I did a factory reset and re-downloaded the up-to-date software version. Nothing improved.

I've fixed up the wire aerial as per instructions. The car is a 2001 Peugeot 406, nothing fancy in the way of windscreens, and no heater wiring. I've treid the unit out of the car, but no improvement.

Any ideas, information or help much appreciated, especially if written as for a 6-year old.

(If there is another thread on the subject, I couldn't find it with Search!)

PS I have tried setting it to UK, as well as automatically finding a station in any country.

spannersatcx
11th Jan 2008, 18:47
The TT RDS system has been notoriously poor in the UK, works ok in europe.

First make sure the unit came with the latest TMC 4V00.013 (or 9V00.017), if it didn't then it's old stock and I would take it back, the newer versions are better than previous versions.

You may need to manually tune to classic FM wherever you are (you only have to do this at the beginning of the journey as it should change automatically after that).

Daysleeper
11th Jan 2008, 19:01
Are we allowed to suggest other forums?

If so there has been a lot of debate about this and suggested solutions on pocketgps.

Not going to post a link, just google it.

To paraphrase, the system sucks unless you can butcher your car antenna and wire it into that.

ZH875
11th Jan 2008, 19:30
the system sucks unless you can butcher your car antenna and wire it into that.

That was for the original version, the new TMC works fine (well at least mine does)

BEagle
11th Jan 2008, 19:35
Garmin nüvi is the way to go!

My nüvi 660 sometimes takes a while to generate a TMC alert - but guidance is always excellent.

I'm afraid that, to me, TomToms seem rather......toy like?

green granite
11th Jan 2008, 21:17
Try this link some info about the problem here: http://www.yournav.com/content/n/373/Problems_with_TT_RDS-TMC_solved.html

old,not bold
12th Jan 2008, 16:16
Many thanks everyone for all that....I had seen the other forums but the suggestions went over my head...

Spanners, if I may reveal how thick I am, where do I find the TMC version number?

I did try tuning to Classic FM manually using the frequency that works best here, ie 100.00 Mhz, but the TomTom didn't want to play....

Daysleeper I have a techie friend who's poised to butcher the car aerial, but I want to avoid that if I can!

GG Thanks for the link; I'll try it now.

Preppy
12th Jan 2008, 17:15
Father Xmas also bought me a Tomtom 720T.

A couple of suggestions.

Latest TMC black lead has a small white label attached with a code number - the last three digits should be 013. (If they are something different, you have an old unit which needs replacing!)

I presume you have tried standing outside the car with the TMC aerial hanging down? If there is no signal within a few minutes (a solid green blob in top right hand corner of screen) then the transmitted signal may be too weak in your location.

I wouldn't worrry too much about the TMC not picking up a signal because there is a major software bug in the most recent update which displays many traffic delays as a " one minute delay". I first noticed this feature when sitting in a mega delay on Jan 2nd on the M3 - the motorway had been closed for a very serious and tragic accident and was in fact shut for hours! So at the moment the TMC is of little practical use in the UK; let's hope that the manufacturer gets cracking and rewrites its software.

Preppy

joehunt
14th Jan 2008, 02:46
TOM TOM?

Their after sales and public relations leave a lot to be desired.

I went to NZ recently on holiday. Before I departed I went on the tom website to buy and down load the software, that was advertised on the home page of accessories for sale. On subsequent pages there was no option for the NZ database to be downloaded. I sent them an email (of course) you cant telephone them. They finally got back to me saying the NZ database was not completed for tom tom's. So I left mine unit behind.

When I arrived, guess what? Yep tom tom's for sale with the NZ database installed.

I'm selling my TOM TOM off and getting another brand. So long TOM TOM.

TightSlot
14th Jan 2008, 06:06
May I ask for some advice please?

I'm looking to get an entry level GPS handheld (until reading this, was thinking TomTom One): It needs to be Apple Mac compatible - I know that TomTom units work with the Mac - are there any better units available?

Thanks in antici...

pation.

spannersatcx
15th Jan 2008, 07:22
From the UK 08451610009 Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:30 GMT
(every first Wednesday of the month: 09:00 to 18:30 GMT)

From the Republic of Ireland 1890812008 Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:30 GMT (every first Wednesday of the month: 09:00 to 18:30 GMT)

From South Africa 0800980670 Monday - Friday: 09:00 to 19:30 GMT+1
(every first Wednesday of the month: 10:00 to 19:30 GMT+1)

From other countries +31208501004 Monday - Friday: 09:00 to 19:30 GMT+1
(every first Wednesday of the month: 10:00 to 19:30 GMT+1)

check the device for a small white tag/ label with some numbers on, the latest RDS receiver ends with .013 printed on the label, also the connector should be straight, the earlier versions of RDS receiver all employed angled connectors