PDA

View Full Version : Best aerial drought pic of the Murray River

mickjoebill
11th Jan 2008, 13:30
I'm looking for best locations along the Murray river from Mildura to the sea that look good from a chopper.

Abandoned farms and graphic unusual shapes would fit the style of the programme.

Fences in salt flats would work too.

Mickjoebill

Chimbu chuckles
11th Jan 2008, 13:37
Well that sounds like a balanced program...ABC is it?...but I think you're a few mths too late...it has started raining.

mickjoebill
11th Jan 2008, 19:31
Well that sounds like a balanced program...ABC is it?...but I think you're a few mths too late...it has started raining.

Wrong on all counts (and its stopped raining)

Mickjoebill

palsky
11th Jan 2008, 21:47
still good rain around in southern QLD a part of the murry darling catchment.

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Jan 2008, 23:26
"and its stopped raining"

Ya reckon?

OZBUSDRIVER
12th Jan 2008, 00:28
Are you serious? How can you get a photo of a REGULATED river with no water in it? Your goal would be to come up to Benalla and do an article on why the Bracks/Brumby government is going to destroy (AND I DO MEAN DESTROY as in removed from the face of the earth) the channel system and headworks for Lake Makoan.

mickjoebill, there are no armchair critics here. Water problems as faced by joe public have a root cause in short term politics, no investment in infrastructure over the last three decades, some mystical properties of environmental flows by making rivers flow in the middle of a drought and population growth. Do you realise that in 2001/3 Lake Eildon was over 70% full! thats about twice the size of Lake Thompson at FSL. That water was dumped out of the dam to get it below 30% so "Vital" earthworks could be done on the dam wall. That Earthworks was to protect the dam from a one in a ten thousand year flood! Shame that after that vital earthworks the country was visited by a one in a hundred year drought.

If you must con your viewers, a shot of the Darling upstream of Mennindi might work, but you better hurry, the floods from Queensland are fast approaching

OZBUSDRIVER
12th Jan 2008, 00:49
Photoes to tug at the heart? Al Gore has a photo looking down on a parched and dry Amazon river. I have an article in a B&CA from the seventies about a recovery of a JetStar (or was it a SabreJet?) that was forced down in that river. The aircraft was brand new, so the loss assessors puzzled over what to do. Anyway the story goes that that part of the river dries up every year, so much so that that particular part is long enough and hard enough to possibly recover the jet. The dry came, the river went down, the engineers came and cleaned the silt out of the aircraft, drained the tanks, put fuel in, spooled up the engines and flew it out.

You are two years too late to try and find a photo like that in Oz,mickjoebill. The drought is fast breaking. There was an article on the news a couple of nights ago with just this. Silly news buggers should have used another cow. The one they had would have gone easily 700kg dressed weight. A cow having a wallow on sand is a little bit different to an emmaciated animal just hanging on to life.