PDA

View Full Version : Is it Still Possible to Buy a XP Laptop?

BRL
10th Jan 2008, 21:48
I have been looking for a new laptop, I want one with XP not Vista but can't see any about. (to be honest not really looked that hard though other than usual shops, pc world, comet etc...)

Anyone seen any for sale?

GrumpyOldFart
10th Jan 2008, 21:56
Dell offer XP on some of their business-grade products.

BOAC
10th Jan 2008, 21:56
Dell will do it for free (XP Home) or at least they did before Xmas. Pro extra. Others may well charge for home.

Sorry Jerry, we crossed. I think it is availble on ALL lappies. Talk to sales - they want the sale!

Saab Dastard
10th Jan 2008, 23:16
BRL, there was a thread on here about that not long before Christmas.

There are definitely several laptops to choose from still with XP.

SD

airborne_artist
11th Jan 2008, 06:17
Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.aspx?&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=xp&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&PageOffset=0&RecordOffset=0#Paging) - plenty for all budgets with XP Home/Pro loaded.

BRL
11th Jan 2008, 08:07
Thanks Guys.... :)

Flybywyre
11th Jan 2008, 09:12
I wanted to do the same, see post 74 on http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300664&page=4
If you are set on XP then I would suggest that you get a laptop without any OS (Dell or Novatech will do this) and then purchase and load XP yourself.
The reason for this is that you then have the full XP disk to reinstal or do what ever you want with it as opposed to a recovery disk that is supplied with most installations.
Regards
FBW

powerstall
11th Jan 2008, 09:16
You can check out HP, think they have a table that still runs on XP.

P.S.
got a new laptop running on Vista, sad to say went back to my old laptop running on good'ol XP..

Cheers:E

Avtrician
11th Jan 2008, 12:04
Dell laptops come loaded with XP (whatever flavour you want/payfor) a built in recovery partition, and the System disc/CD.

Certainly helps if the harddrive needs replacing.

BOAC
11th Jan 2008, 16:31
Dell will do it for free (XP Home) or at least they did before Xmas. Pro extra. Others may well charge for home.

Added to lengthen post

mart52
12th Jan 2008, 20:13
Probably also worth having a look at ebuyer (www.ebuyer.com)... under the "Business PCs" section.
I bought an HP desktop with Win XP Pro pre-installed just before Xmas - very happy with price and performance....
Regards
Martin

IO540
13th Jan 2008, 09:44
The only word of caution on putting retail XP back on a laptop is that some things may not work e.g. sounds or even possibly video (beyond 640x480 or 800x600 in 16 colours).

So one has to google and hunt down the drivers.

This is normal for people building desktop PCs but laptops normally come with an appropriately customised version of XP with all the drivers.

Tip: often, a laptop will have a "drivers" directory on it somewhere, and even if it comes with vista, that directory may contain XP drivers.

I wouldn't touch vista with a bargepole - too much stuff doesn't work under it, including the only IFR flight planning software (Jeppesen).