PDA

View Full Version : Anther New Domestic Operator

EPIRB
10th Jan 2008, 19:37
Out of this mornings Melbourne Herald Sun

Geoff Easdown
January 11, 2008 12:00am

INDONESIA's Lion Air will establish a joint venture with a small Brisbane-based airline to operate domestic and long haul services from Australia.

Lion Air Australia expects to begin services with six new extended range Boeing 737's by the end of the year.

David Charlton, chief executive of Sky Air World, an infant aviation business trading out of Brisbane's Eagle Farm airport, confirmed his company would own 51 per cent of the new business with Lion Air holding a 49 per cent stake.

As a result of the deal Lion Air Australia will have the same air traffic rights to operate here as any Australian-owned airline.

Under Australian regulations a foreign investor can have a maximum 49 per cent stake in a local airline, but Lion Air president Rusdi Kiranait was reported as saying that his company would be the operator and control the business.

Pressed about which company would be in charge, Mr Charlton told BusinessDaily last night that executive positions "had yet to be allocated."

Under Australian regulations a foreign investor can have a maximum 49 per cent stake in a local airline, but it has been agreed that Lion would be the operator and control the management.

In a statement last night both partners noted that routes, fares and frequencies were still being developed.

"We will be connecting points not currently serviced and creating a fantastic new offering for the travelling public," Mr Charlton said, confirming however that Indonesia and Thailand would be part of the airline's network.

He said Lion Air Australia would be "a good value carrier" offering both business and premium economy seats.

"We will offer a good value for money product for the holiday and business traveller, including connections between Australia and its most populous neighbour, Indonesia," Mr Charlton said.

A spokesman for the Sydney-based Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, Derek Sadubin, said Lion Air was a reputable airline with a solid funding base.

"It is one of the most focused Indonesian carriers, with good management and is one of the fastest growing carriers in Indonesia," Mr Sadubin said.

The Indonesian airline operates more than 200 services a day from Jakarta to regional destinations with a fleet of 40 aircraft.

The airline also is the first customer for Boeing's new model 737-900, 215-seat extended range jet, the first six of which will be handed to the Australian business.

The planes have an operating range of 3200 nautical miles (5925km) giving Lion Air Australia the ability to operate non-stop services to regional centres in Asia and the South Pacific.

Until yesterday Sky Air Services had a chequered history, having launched in 2006 with a single and secondhand 76-seat Brazilian built Embraer passenger jet.

The aircraft operated a shortlived service as Air Solomons for the Solomons Island Government.

Since August, when the service stopped amid a row between Sky World and the Solomons authorities, the Embraer has been operating charters from Perth.

Apart from the new Boeings, Sky World also has two additional Embraer aircraft ordered.

The new company will have a bigger fleet than Asian-based rival Tiger Airways which has four Airbus A320 commuter jets operating from Melbourne.

Aussie
10th Jan 2008, 21:30
Bring on the competition... Not sure how aus will handle another airline?! :E

BAe32EP-Chief
10th Jan 2008, 21:44
Sorry but once again the fa**** newspaper needs to get the facts straight.
It reminds me of working with the local force in country WA and the news guys always came in asking for information!

Until yesterday Sky Air Services had a chequered history, having launched in 2006 with a single and secondhand 76-seat Brazilian built Embraer passenger jet.

Okay maybe they get things right sometimes

Since August, when the service stopped amid a row between Sky World and the Solomons authorities, the Embraer has been operating charters from Perth.

admit the plural s, in charter's I knew of only one charter - the rest was sitting on the tarmac. Inst the 170 back in Brisbane

The new company will have a bigger fleet than Asian-based rival Tiger Airways which has four Airbus A320 commuter jets operating from Melbourne.

I'd like to see that!

Buster Hyman
10th Jan 2008, 23:30
"It's Merpati & I'll fly if I want to, fly if I want to..."

puff
11th Jan 2008, 00:47
A 'reputable' airline that has had 2 hull losses in a 7 odd year history. I can already imagine the Ts and Cs.

We can only hope they bring all the high standards of Indonesian aviation to Australia!

JLQ
11th Jan 2008, 01:29
Under the current climate of growth and now word of another startup, a progressive management could offer superior terms and conditions to the aircrew and in effect starve another operator of the ability to attract or retain crew. Not much competiton when they can't get their aircraft off the ground. That's a win - win situation. Won't hold my breath though...

galdian
11th Jan 2008, 02:27
I notice in the Australian in a report by Steve Creedy Mr Charlton from Sky Air World "did not see Indonesia's chequered safety record as a problem for the new carrier" and later "did not see any significant issue in winning the public's confidence."

It is also noted in the article that ALL Indonesian airlines are currently banned from landing in EU countries.

It is less than a year since the cost in safety of culture over CRM was so clearly demonstrated with the crash that claimed Australian lives, an event that I am sure is still in the memory of many people.

I would suggest Mr Charlton is 100% wrong.

The only way I could see this being successful is if the tech operation is set up and run in Australia by westerners.
If there is even a hint that things are being done "on the cheap" or, far more serious in my mind, that Indonesian crews will be operating the aircraft then for the first time ever I would be advising friends and relatives to not consider them.

It's not about racial issues - it's about the inability to understand the benefits of CRM and the continued victory of culture over enhanced safety via properly implemented CRM. :ugh:

B772
11th Jan 2008, 03:06
In the past it was reported Lion were short of a Captain for a flight so it was crewed by 2 F/Os ?, also lots of questions about operational standards and maintenance at the time.

airsupport
11th Jan 2008, 03:28
With all these Lions and Tigers all over the place, the Industry is fast turning into a Circus. ;)

Buster Hyman
11th Jan 2008, 03:34
All we need is Clowns & face paint and...oh...hang on...

airsupport
11th Jan 2008, 03:58
Just don't mention "monkeys" at the moment. :rolleyes:

FlyingApe
14th Jan 2008, 21:33
I think SktAirWorld are taking the safety and CRM issues very seriously. They are attempting to recruit experienced ERJ crews from Western Europe - see advert in recent (December I think) Flight International.

neville_nobody
14th Jan 2008, 22:39
Joyce is in the Australian wheeling out the "Qantas group" mantra again. Suddenly it's about reputation and quality.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,23039626-23349,00.html?from=public_rss

Kiwiguy
14th Jan 2008, 22:46
In the past it was reported Lion were short of a Captain for a flight so it was crewed by 2 F/Os ?

Public address system announcement:

Ladies and gentlemen, do we have any pilots traveling with us today ?

Does this mean I can get a deep discount on my ticket price if sit in seat 1A and twiddle the knob things up front ?:}

How was your flight Sammy...

Oh it was great mummy... just like playing with Flight Simulator, only I bounced badly on landing.

Joyce is in the Australian wheeling out the "Qantas group" mantra again. Suddenly it's about reputation and quality.

Shh don't mention the 767 fan failure out of Perth okay ?