PDA

View Full Version : night rating dilema

yellowsubmarine
10th Jan 2008, 19:17
I have recently been in Florida doing some hours building so i can start my CPL in Feb, when i left for the states i held a PPL but not the night rating. However i was able to fly at night out there with just my PPL, I flew approx. 30 hours at night excluding 4 with an instructor.

Obviously I would rather not do the night rating as part of my CPL (multi) as that would add a lot of money to the already spiraling costs.

So my question is with 30 hours of night flying what exactly more do i need to do in the UK to obtain my night rating?

Thankyou very much for any help

maxdrypower
10th Jan 2008, 19:30
I would fill in the night rating apllication form and send it off . There is not exam for the NR nor is there a flight test . Provided you have done the requisite five hours with Five STOP and goes then by all accounts you've already done it . The CAA can only return it saying sorry but no they will then tell you what you have to do. I have a friend who flew at night over there and he has a night rating issued here on the strength of it

Shallow Hal
10th Jan 2008, 19:32
I did something similar

As long as you have at least 5hrs night logged including:

(from LASORS)

3 hrs dual instruction
1hr x country
5 solo take offs and landings to a full stop
And the rest can be made up as PIC

Then the CAA will accept that for issue of CPL

You don't need to have the official 'Night Rating' on your PPL to get a CPL issued. The CAA will accept those minimums above in your logbook in lieu of a night rating

Not all JAA states have a night rating in the way the UK have anyway. I wasn't sure about it when I did it and couldn't get a straight answer anywhere. But that's the bottom line. That's what I did and the CAA issued a CPL no questions asked .All the flying was in the states

No point putting a rating on your PPL which you won't be using anymore anyway

yellowsubmarine
10th Jan 2008, 19:54
Thanks very much, will send of the application and see what happens.