PDA

View Full Version : IBM TPM Reset - At a loss

planecrazy.eu
10th Jan 2008, 10:14
Hey All

Tried Google, posted on a few forums and noting...

I need to reset my password for :

Winbond (National Semiconductor) TPM (Trusted Platform Module)

I have a ThinkPad T43.

I am at a loss of how to reset the password, i cant find anything at all, maybe one of you guys know?

Thanks

Saab Dastard
10th Jan 2008, 10:50
Have you tried the manual?

AFAIK, it is an "online" manual - i.e. an installed help file on the PC, not printed or a PDF, so is not available over the internet, but can be downloaded and installed from the Lenovo website if you have deleted it from your PC.

The Lenovo website is probably the best resource for your query.

SD

Bushfiva
10th Jan 2008, 11:32
Assuming you mean the supervisor password, it's stored in the eeprom that also contains system serial numbers, and historically you needed to solder wires to the eeprom, read it out, then crack the password. So bear in mind my info is 2 years old, but http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=23102 and http://www.serviceforum.lx.ro/viewforum.php?f=12 could help you. LIke I said, this is old info so maybe there's a bit of free software magic out there somewhere now.

Incidentally, I recently had to unlock a machine with fingerprint sensor used by an employee who left the company and was uncooperative. I pulled prints from a CD, made a fake finger and 1100 tries later, the computer started. Dunno why I mentioned that :-)

planecrazy.eu
10th Jan 2008, 16:07
Thanks for all that information.

What it is, its the Trusted Platform Module, and i am guessing its a sort of safe store.

I have looked at manuals and all that, and they all say its easy to wipe, but none say how to do it.

I have all the other passwords, admin and supervisor and its my own finger prints, so all those are known.

I have tried emailing lenovo, and the people who make the chip, and so far no luck.

Latest findings show i need to go to a "Bios Utility Update" however where this is or how to get to it is not known or documented.

It doesnt render the laptop useless, however it does stop the use of the advanced security features, which is a pain.

I have heard of that soldering technique, still works but its a little risky in my mind and it wont even solve my problems plus i still have 18months lenovo warranty so i dont want to render it useless.

I am told i can just replace the system board and chip, think i will give that a miss knowing the cost of lenovo products, i bet ebay still demands high prices for such items, thanks for the replys thou, better than any other lenovo and computer forum,

Saab Dastard
10th Jan 2008, 20:07
Have you tried re-installing the drivers?

Uninstalling the device and re-installing?

SD

planecrazy.eu
14th Jan 2008, 17:00
If any one gets this issue again where they need to reset the TPM or have missing BIOS options, then this is how to do it.

Turn of ThinkPad

Turn On and press ESC Untill you see the windows boot loader

Turn Off

Turn on and press F1

All the options are there inc tpm reset....

Took ages to crack, all i had to do was ring Lenovo Support and speak to a right charictor that was willing to share the secrets of the lenovo techies