PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo

airgator
10th Jan 2008, 01:41
Anyone lived in or spent alot of time in Tokyo? My brother just moved there for business, he's living around Roppongi area. As you can imagine it is a bit of a culture shock coming from Florida. Anyone got any tips of places to go, bars, social clubs, activities, etc. to meet other expats? He'll be there with his wife for the next 3 years. I'm looking forward to visiting often, but we need to get pointed in the right direction. The city can be a bit overwhelming for newcomers. Thanks in advance.

NZ X man
10th Jan 2008, 18:15
Hay, the most populated city on the planet I believe, great food, great people, very formal until they get to know you. Woman are great, very feminine,( did I spell that right), but it is also expensive place to hang out. If you get a chance to go to the country side, you will find a completely different world. At first you will probably be overwhelmed by the pace of life, and it is completely Japanese. But once you get your magnetic bearings, you will enjoy yourself. An interpretor really helps.

Enjoy the Saki and Sashimi

X man:}

Seil Knisaw
10th Jan 2008, 18:24
Tokyo is a great city, but there are so many (thousands) of places to list where expats meet up that it's nearly impossible to list even a few. Even if someone listed one, it would be impossible to give a proper address or directions, and I can't really can't describe why. My advice is to wander the city around his residence, as undoubtedly there are numerous places nearby, especially in Roppongi. The first place that comes to mind is the Beatles bar, where every night there is a live Beatles performance. Tons of expats there. Have him ask around - nearly everyone knows where that is.